Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 06:32 PM

Default Turn Donked Holding an Overpair

Party $1/2

Table is good, 4 - 5 seeing most flops.

I have Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the CO. UTG limps, UTG+1 folds, I raise, button folds, both blinds call, UTG calls.

Flop is 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Checked to me, I bet, only BB calls.

Turn is 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. BB bets, I ???

My natural inclination was of course to raise but I'm not sure if that's the best play. The popular line now in BB's position with a 4 or other big hand is to donk, then 3-bet my raise. If he has a lesser holding, would my raise chase him off and I lose a potential river bet from him?

Just curious on what's the best EV line and why.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:35 PM

Default Re: Turn Donked Holding an Overpair

i raise the turn, if 3bet i muck, expecting to see minimum a 4, maybe 56 for the made OESD.

Anyone dislike that? It depends in a large part if BB expects to fold you out with the suspicious turn donk. If that is the case, does BB have the stones to bluff-3bet?
Old 12-01-2005, 06:44 PM

Hi Peter,

I think that your line is the best. I, however, do not think that we're getting 3-bet here often.

OP: Raise the turn, then bet the river if BB does not 3-bet the turn. Furthermore, if BB checks on the river, you need to bet because your hand is best. If, however, he donks again on the river, then I just call. I fully expect to see a 4, but we need to call because the pot has a lot of bets in it and this is $1/$2, a level that has a lot of donkeys.

Best regards,

John
Old 12-01-2005, 06:44 PM

i like to call. Heres Why.
Scenario #1. He hit a monster.. hes got a 4, 33, or 77 or something of that value.
If you call and call another bet on the river you lose 2 bets. If you raise and he 3 bets, theres a chance he might have 10s or jacks or 9s or a similar hand and you may fold the best hand while still losing the same amount, your 2 bets.

Scenario 2
He has a hand such as A7 which is likely coming from the BB, you raise and he folds? you win one bet. or..
you call he checks, you bet he most likely calls and loses the showdown, or he bets and you call and win and the showdown. I like to call. and anticipate calling a single bet or making one on the river.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:48 PM

Hi Kevin,

A7 and other such mini-overpair hands (such a 88) are definetly seeing a showdown here. Furthermore, in your Scenario #1 I don't see 88-JJ taking a line that involves all the previous play + 3-betting a turn raise.

Best regards,

John
Old 12-01-2005, 10:48 PM

Some players might also lead this turn with Ax or Kx of clubs.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:05 PM

You'd be surprised how many folks wait for a safe turn to put in bets. I'm raising this every time.

If he 3-bets, well...I'll defer and say muck.

Best Regards