Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 05:43 PM

Default Small PP?

Say I have 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in late position and I limp in.
Flop comes 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

MP1 bets and 3 other calls down untill it's my turn, fold? Or call and check the turn before folding?
Old 09-12-2005, 05:45 PM

Default Re: Small PP?

I'm tossin it.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:50 PM

I would fold this. I mean, you have bottom pair and with that many callers, someone has to have a pair to beat your 3's.

You only have 2 outs (4% chance of a 2 on the turn), in ratio form: 22.5 to 1. Pot would have to be enormous for you to call.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:23 PM

fold
Old 09-12-2005, 06:26 PM

Everyone says fold....which may be right. Maybe you have the best hand. I'd say against more than one opponent, and they bet, and I had no other information, then I would fold. I play every pair I'm dealt and don't follow the ABC approach of no set no bet. I only play small pairs because I figure I can get away if I'm beat and normally figure out when I'm ahead. Most flops miss most hands, but an easy way to look at it is that people play hands with tens in them and hands that make straight draws with tens and jacks. You're a dog to a lot of hands here but I wouldn't dump it so quickly. Try playing them to see how things work out...

You know what, there's no easy answer to this question. I thought about erasing the above part but I'm not going to because there is more than one way to win at poker. Get as much information from the books you can, read and post hands on this site, ask questions, follow your instinct, get a lot of time at the tables and figure how you play best. It takes gridin' to be a king, and it takes a lot of time being a donkey before you can win. The game has to come from within you because you're the one making the decisions.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone says fold....which may be right. Maybe you have the best hand. I'd say against more than one opponent, and they bet, and I had no other information, then I would fold. I play every pair I'm dealt and don't follow the ABC approach of no set no bet. I only play small pairs because I figure I can get away if I'm beat and normally figure out when I'm ahead. Most flops miss most hands, but an easy way to look at it is that people play hands with tens in them and hands that make straight draws with tens and jacks. You're a dog to a lot of hands here but I wouldn't dump it so quickly. Try playing them to see how things work out...

You know what, there's no easy answer to this question. I thought about erasing the above part but I'm not going to because there is more than one way to win at poker. Get as much information from the books you can, read and post hands on this site, ask questions, follow your instinct, get a lot of time at the tables and figure how you play best. It takes gridin' to be a king, and it takes a lot of time being a donkey before you can win. The game has to come from within you because you're the one making the decisions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I agree it's tough to generalize poker, but in this case as the hand is described anything but a fold is a bad play. Not an enormous bad play by any means, but bad nonetheless. With a single bet and no callers you might be ahead or maybe you could raise and then make a play at a scare card, etc., but against a bet and 3 callers you are not winning this hand without hitting a 3. The odds simply aren't there to draw to a 2-outer so you must fold.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:34 PM

Absolutely fold. Play small pocket pairs almost exclusively for the set potential on the flop. Your chances of hitting a set with one card to come is roughly 22:1.

Even if 9 players saw an unraised flop and all 8 called the flop bet back to you, there would only be 17 bets in the pot (and probably less due to rake). Not enough. It is very rare to have the odds to see the turn specifically for the set potential.

Onaflag..........
Old 09-12-2005, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone says fold....which may be right.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, this isn't the time to say, "It depends." This is a clear fold. If you regularly call in this situation, you have a huge leak. I think you will get back only about half of the money you put in, and you will get the chance to make this sort of hopeless call frequently.

If you like money, do not overcall with unimproved low pocket pairs.

Note that your hand is significantly worse than a hand like 65. That would have 5 outs to improve to two pair or trips. 33 only has 2 outs. I'd still fold with 65. Folding with 33 is even more obvious.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Everyone says fold....which may be right.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, this isn't the time to say, "It depends." This is a clear fold. If you regularly call in this situation, you have a huge leak. I think you will get back only about half of the money you put in, and you will get the chance to make this sort of hopeless call frequently.

If you like money, do not overcall with unimproved low pocket pairs.

Note that your hand is significantly worse than a hand like 65. That would have 5 outs to improve to two pair or trips. 33 only has 2 outs. I'd still fold with 65. Folding with 33 is even more obvious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Misread the OP and thought that it was HU on the flop. I'm such a donkey, I never even learns ta' read.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:06 AM

Fold, the flop was your only real chance