Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 03:11 PM

Default Clear Edge Pill

Any opinions?
http://www.focusonpoker.com/pokerstore.php
Old 10-12-2005, 05:04 PM

Default Re: Clear Edge Pill

looks like creative product marketing attempting to take advantage of the poker boom.

anyway, none of the 'supplements' in that will cause an effect even close to modafinil or any of the other hot 'poker enhancing drugs'
Old 10-12-2005, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any opinions?
http://www.focusonpoker.com/pokerstore.php

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow - $50 for 13 servings of a concoction you can pretty much get in any $2 energy drink. I'll pass.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:47 PM

Thanks for the tip. I tried to get modafinil online but no place had it. I called up the foreign pharmacy and the lady told me that Adderall would be just as good. It will be here on Friday.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:35 PM

adderall is stronger than modafinil. it's also a controlled substance, amphetamine. essentially it is speed.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the tip. I tried to get modafinil online but no place had it. I called up the foreign pharmacy and the lady told me that Adderall would be just as good. It will be here on Friday.

[/ QUOTE ]

Adderal is addictive. You really shouldn't use it unless it has been prescribed by a medical doctor for ADD/ADHD. For someone who has ADD/ADHD, Adderal can help them achieve a level of focus that any normal person would have. Although it's true that adderal can also help a normal person focus more, it can also make you feel jumpy, interfere with your sleep, screw with your brain chemistry, impact your heart function, and a bunch of other stuff.

Stay away from these drugs unless you need them. And if you have had any past addictions to things like booze, smokes, or drugs, be especially aware that you don't get hooked on adderal.

I think modafinil is also a controlled substance but it is different than adderal; they actually don't really know how it works for sure.

If you think you have ADD/ADHD, go to a doctor or psychiatrist. I'd suggest trying strattera first -- it's a non-stimulant and works 24x7.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think modafinil is also a controlled substance

[/ QUOTE ]

Modafinil is a schedule IV controlled substance.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:09 AM

coffee's cheaper and prolly tastes way better
Old 10-13-2005, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think modafinil is also a controlled substance

[/ QUOTE ]

Modafinil is a schedule IV controlled substance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. And it's FDA-approved purpose is to promote wakefullness in people with sleep disorders, though it has been used by some people to deal with ADD.

I don't know if it is addictive like adderal/ritalin/dexedrine.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:22 AM

Jedster, thank you for giving such excellent and responsible advice. You've saved me the time.

Adderall is not speed. Speed is methamphetamine and Adderall is a mix of dextroamphetamine and basic amphetamine. Even though amphetamines have their issues, it's not on the same level as methampehtamine. Speed is among the only psychoactive substances in studies that causes cellular level damage (in addition to the psychosis it also causes sometimes). Speed has greater CNS specificity than other amphetamines and greater potential for addiction through its strong activiation of the middle striatal reward pathway.

That said, Adderall has a strong potential for addiction and is certainly dangerous. Taking it to just improve your poker is taking a very serious tradeoff.

I'm very open-minded about psychoactive substances too. I don't assume all exogenous substances necessarily ruin you (such dogmatic nonsense) or that all illegal drugs are dangerous (many cause no physical damage or risk of addiction, particulary tryptamine and phenethylamine psychedelics (MDA and certain mescaline analogues notwithstanding primarily because they have an LD50 meaning you can die from overdosing)). I go with what the clinicial data supports.

If you're going to self-medicate to stay up or attempt to improve your poker, I'd recommend starting with Strattera, Modanafil (sic), Concerta, or caffeine instead.