Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 12:57 AM

Default Re: Clear Edge Pill

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think modafinil is also a controlled substance

[/ QUOTE ]

Modafinil is a schedule IV controlled substance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. And it's FDA-approved purpose is to promote wakefullness in people with sleep disorders, though it has been used by some people to deal with ADD.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only time I've ever written for modafinil is for fatigue related to multiple sclerosis. This is off-label, but supported by clinical study.

There has been at least one study done to see if modafinil improved cognition in non-sleep-deprived people. (Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology, April 2005) The study was disappointing in terms of proving beneficial effects. My personal choice will remain caffeine. No hassles about acquiring it, either.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yup. And it's FDA-approved purpose is to promote wakefullness in people with sleep disorders, though it has been used by some people to deal with ADD.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only time I've ever written for modafinil is for fatigue related to multiple sclerosis. This is off-label, but supported by clinical study.

There has been at least one study done to see if modafinil improved cognition in non-sleep-deprived people. (Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology, April 2005) The study was disappointing in terms of proving beneficial effects. My personal choice will remain caffeine. No hassles about acquiring it, either.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to provigil.com (a brand name for modafinil): "PROVIGIL is indicated to improve wakefulness in patients with excessive sleepiness associated with narcolepsy, obstructive sleep apnea/hypopnea syndrome and shift work sleep disorder."

I've just heard of people using it for ADD on an off-label basis, sort of like Wellbutrin (isn't that also an off-label use?).
Old 10-13-2005, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I've just heard of people using it for ADD on an off-label basis, sort of like Wellbutrin (isn't that also an off-label use?).

[/ QUOTE ]

People use all sorts of drugs for all sorts of off label uses. Look up Wellbutrin on rxlist or some other web site with extensive drug profiles and you can see what condition the drug is FDA approved to treat. I'm pretty sure its use as an ADD/ADHD treatment is off label at this time.

Many off label uses were serendipitously discovered. A patient reports that taking x drug for condition y helps them, doctors pay attention and word of mouth spreads the idea. It happened with an antihistamine used for surgery that they found was useful as an antipsychotic and when a weird Australian guy decided to try the components in urine to treat bipolar disorder (which led the discovery that Li is a useful treatment for bipolar disorder in some people). Word of mouth may lead to later clinical studies by drug companies to get a new lease on life for a drug or to increase sales to use the drug for more purposes than originally designed.

With intractable migraine headaches, doctors often just opened up their PDR and prescribed whatever they came up (assuming it wasn't some insanely difficult or dangerous drug like cyclosporine, etc.). They had no other options other than telling a patient they couldn't help them.

Particularly with neurological/psychiatric drugs, off label usage is very common. If a doctor thinks it can work for whatever you have going, they can prescribe it for you (though it is more complicated with scheduled substances, particularly schedule II).

Unless a substance is FDA approved to treat a particular condition, if prescribed for a condition it's an off label use. The newer antidepressants (SSRIs, the NE reuptake inhibitors and a few others) are very popular for just about everything neurological and psychiatric in part because they have no LD50 (you can't die from overdose) and at least with short term use and no rapid withdrawal period, they tend to have very limited side effects.

I also wanted to mention that Concerta is a time-release methylphenidate, the same compound in Rytalin. It's a stimulant and more dangerous than caffeine, Modafinil and Strattera. It's safer than Aderrall though.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:02 PM

Concerta sucks. way too hard to crush up and snort, unlike ritalin.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:06 PM

Good to know. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]