Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2005, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Continuation Bets In SSNL

[ QUOTE ]

Watching an old WPT event with Stoltzmann v Chau Giang, Stoltzmann said "I thought you pros were supposed to play small pots with me", and "I'm looking to get in coin flip situations with you to avoid getting outplayed". Obviously JS is a smart young player and he recognizes the pros are better than him post-flop through experience.

Since 2+2ers on average should have an edge on the typical SSNL player, should we be trying to play smaller pots? If so, 1/2 pot bets are ideal even if aggro players see it as weakness and play back a bit more.

[/ QUOTE ]

This really only applies to tournaments. In a tournament, you want to avoid big pots that you only have small edges in, because you can get a larger edge later (against lesser players). In a cash game, you want to take the small edges now AND the larger edges later, since you can just reload if it doesn't pan out.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Watching an old WPT event with Stoltzmann v Chau Giang, Stoltzmann said "I thought you pros were supposed to play small pots with me", and "I'm looking to get in coin flip situations with you to avoid getting outplayed". Obviously JS is a smart young player and he recognizes the pros are better than him post-flop through experience.

Since 2+2ers on average should have an edge on the typical SSNL player, should we be trying to play smaller pots? If so, 1/2 pot bets are ideal even if aggro players see it as weakness and play back a bit more.

[/ QUOTE ]

This really only applies to tournaments. In a tournament, you want to avoid big pots that you only have small edges in, because you can get a larger edge later (against lesser players). In a cash game, you want to take the small edges now AND the larger edges later, since you can just reload if it doesn't pan out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes sense to me. I'm no tourney player so i appreciate that input.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:10 PM

My strategy in poker is to keep betting until they fold; I show down the best hand; or I run out of money. Thankfully, the third hasnt happened yet.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My strategy in poker is to keep betting until they fold; I show down the best hand; or I run out of money. Thankfully, the third hasnt happened yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

So whats your c/b like? You play a much LAGgier game than I pre-flop with your stats post in the other thread.. so i'm genuinely interested as you have a lot more PFR's to follow up.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So whats your c/b like? You play a much LAGgier game than I pre-flop with your stats post in the other thread.. so i'm genuinely interested as you have a lot more PFR's to follow up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I check alot of flops, and fire alot of turns too. It's all about balancing your game plan; if I only played 10% of my hands, you better believe I would try to win every pot. But sometimes it's ok to let some go.

And yeah, a c-bet with me is a little less then half pot to a little more then full pot, with about half falling into exactly the full pot category, and a fair margin in the 3/4 area.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:54 PM

Hard to put you on a hand that way I imagine.

Good posts guys, I've learned a few things, thanks.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:21 PM

I oftentimes find it hard to keep my c-bets consistent (or randomized for that matter) when playing my hands. For instance, I usually bet 2/3-full pot with TPTK hands while making 1/2-2/3 pot bets when c-betting.

If my opponents are paying attention, they would notice this (thank goodness many do not). I think this is a leak, and maybe when I move up in limits (or play against players who pay more attention), I will need to adjust my c-betting frequencies.

I definitely think c-betting is opponent dependent. If I know I'm playing calling stations/passive players, I tend to not c-bet as often. Nor do I c-bet if I am playing against 2+ players (unless they are both rocks).

1/2 pot c-betting, IMO, is rather weak, and I will usually be called 80% of the time when doing these. The probobility of me being raised is higher as well, as people read me as weak.

Being a TAG player, flops like 863, etc. etc. make it harder to c-bet. Because I play with mostly the same players every time (I only play homegames, gah), my regulars know some of my hand ranges (regarding my 10 handed play, my SH play is much different IMO).

I think delayed bluffs works better against a player who will regularly c-bet (and can fold a hand for that matter). c/r-ing is not effective for me because I rarely c/r when I have a hand- I think c/c, leading turn or call, raise most turns is a more profitable move.

Just rambling, I think I got off topic. Sorry.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:56 AM

The 1/2 pot CB works well in my games. Remember, Harrington also said to use this preferably against only one opponent and when the texture of the flop is not dangerous, i.e., no face cards nor very likely flush or straight possibilities. And also, you don't use this against a loose agressive player.