Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 10:49 AM

Default Flopped Boat - Trap or Push?

Villain in this hand is 79/15/3 and LOVES to bluff

Get it in his turn raise does not in particular mean he's got a 7. I decided a stop and go would be best, but i'm open to criticism. I've been leading flops for 2/3-3/4 and turns at around the same rate.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

BB ($42.92)
Hero ($95.45)
MP ($158.57)
Button ($9.40)
SB ($127)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
Hero calls $1, MP calls $1, Button calls $1, SB (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($5) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, MP calls $3, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds.

Turn: ($11) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $7</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $14</font>, Hero calls $7.

River: ($39) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $30</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $60</font>, Hero calls $47.45 (All-In), MP calls $17.45.

Final Pot: $193.90
Old 10-31-2005, 10:52 AM

Default Re: Flopped Boat - Trap or Push?

I would definitely make it something like $35 here after villians raise on the turn. Even against a bluff-lover. Let's say for example that he has the straight and it doublepairs on the river, then you will have a hard time get any more money from him.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:54 AM

I like the way you handled it. In the rare occasion that I flop a boat or other monster, I tend to make a moderate bet at the pot to gauge what I might be up against and if I can push things. His raise on the turn tells me that he's game.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:09 PM

I don't dislike the way you played this, but I'd probably have pulled some minor theatrics (I don't play online) and then reraised him on the turn. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 20-30.

If he calls that, I'm just going to push the river, no matter what, unless it's a 7.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't dislike the way you played this, but I'd probably have pulled some minor theatrics (I don't play online) and then reraised him on the turn. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 20-30.

If he calls that, I'm just going to push the river, no matter what, unless it's a 7.

[/ QUOTE ]

Theatrics in live play that precede a raise are the most obvious signs of strength in the game. If this works for you, you have excellent game selection but don't expect it to continue working if you play elsewhere.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:48 PM

Without a doubt, I want all my money in. I'm not laying down this hand against this guy no matter what he does. The purpose of the post is to get as much of his money in the pot as possible. I think the confusing line of bet/call the turn and bet/raise the river accomplishes that and gives him little room to squirm away. I dont hate the idea of re-raising the turn, but it gives him the opportunity to fold a pair like QQ if he believes I have a 7. I want him thinking i'm taking a stab at the pot on the river rather than holding a very strong hand. That was my thinking at the time at least.

As it turns out, he held Q7. So, regardless of how I played the turn (getting the $$ in), a player like this isnt folding trip 7's... so I was doomed... that's poker.

Anyone else have an opinion?