Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2005, 02:11 AM

Default Rate this play, A9o

UB $200+15 ($120k guaranteed). Started w/ 561 players, top 60 pay.

75 people left, avg stack is about t16,000, I have t10,700. Blinds are 400/800 w/ 100 ante (2200 in each pot pre-deal). I just got moved to this table about 12 hands ago.

A note about the BB: right when I got moved to the table, he was in a hand all-in, but I didn't catch the action, though he didn't show when the other guy folded. The next hand I played I was on CO, I raised first in, he pushed I folded. I'm pretty sure I saw one more aggressive action before the flop, but I still haven't seen him showdown.

This hand I'm in the SB w/ A9o and t11,700. Everyone folds to the button who limps. I raise to 3000 and the BB pushes on me, he's got about t18,000. Button folds. I call.

Bad move?

I don't know much about him, but I got a strong feeling like he was making a play at me. Is A9 strong enough to call here? I'm getting like 16:7 ~ 2:1 chip-odds.

Eto...
Old 07-04-2005, 11:07 AM

Default Re: Rate this play, A9o

Bump.

I really want to hear some educated opinions on calling w/ A9o here. Maybe not the best play, but is it bad?

Eto...
Old 07-05-2005, 12:21 AM

BUMP BUMP BUMP

Seriously guys. Are you boycotting me? I haven't posted enough to piss off anyone...

If you're not going to respond to my question, at least give me a suggestion for posting more effectively. No one responding to my posts is a common theme....

Eto...
Old 07-05-2005, 12:28 AM

It REALLY looks like you are dominated. I didnt do the math out of laziness, but if it was 2-1 like you said i would fold. (I think he had AQ, AK right?) It would be one thing if you openraised and he tried to push you out, then his range is a lot bigger. But there is still 1 other player there, so i think he has to have a real hand to do this. I dont think he shows an underpair to your 9 for this to be profitable enough.

All of this response was assuming you are getting 2-1. With a little better odds, i do call, but as it is you can wait for a better spot to try and get lucky.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:38 AM

the problem with your play here is not that you either called or folded when he pushed, rather its that you didnt know what you were going to do before you raised to 3k.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:09 PM

I don't like your play. With an aggressive player on my left, with your hand, I will push with it everytime. You are shortstacked and you can't afford to be folding after putting
25% of your chips in BTF. A9 is just too good a hand against a limper and the BB to be pushed off of. If you push you'll probably win the pot most times because the BB
will not play back at you unless he has a real hand.

Bruce