Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2004, 11:48 AM

Default Super System II

How can it possibly give better advice than HPFAP?
Old 10-14-2004, 11:59 AM

Default Re: Super System II

It's pretty easy for me to imagine a better hold'em book than HP4AP. Take SSH/IT, for example. Something along the lines of MLHE that wasn't so damned weak-tight would be great. HP4AP is a fine book and all, but there are areas where I think it could be improved (grammar for one). I think it's the weakest book in the Advanced Players series.

Also, S/S II is going to cover a lot of games, not just limit hold'em. I'm an anomaly, but most of the money I've won over the years has come from games other than limit hold'em. Ray has said that the real money is to be made at other games, and while I haven't made what Ray would consider real money, I tend to agree with him.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:00 PM

Well, I've always found the advice in HPFAP lacking for Triple Lowball Draw.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:45 PM

Andy, I like 7CSFAP much more than HEPFAP. So, I second your thoughts.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm an anomaly, but most of the money I've won over the years has come from games other than limit hold'em. Ray has said that the real money is to be made at other games, and while I haven't made what Ray would consider real money, I tend to agree with him.

[/ QUOTE ]

While fairly new to these other games, I agree, and many others have said the same thing, including Sklansky. Holdem popularity is a vicious circle. Because so many people play the game, it gets most of the attention, therefore most of the articles and books are written about holdem, and therefore most players read about and play holdem. Holdem also gets virtually all the TV time because of this, and because games like O8 and Stud8 are superficially complicated, and they are boring to play, let alone watch. But they are more profitable and have less variance than holdem.

And as Cappelletti and others point out, expert players have a very small edge over good players in games like O8, but good players have a big edge over poor players. I'm just starting to play Stud8, but I think that statement applies here also. And I'm definitely looking forward to any new material on these games.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How can it possibly give better advice than HPFAP?

[/ QUOTE ]

Can anyone tell me what these all stand for? I know some of the, but not all of them.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:16 PM

holdem poker for advanced players.. pretty much the leading book on mid/high limit poker
Old 10-14-2004, 03:17 PM

7CSFAP= 7 card stud for adv players .. if you hadnt figured it out..
Old 10-14-2004, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
holdem poker for advanced players.. pretty much the leading book on mid/high limit poker

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2004, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm an anomaly, but most of the money I've won over the years has come from games other than limit hold'em.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not the only anomaly. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Ray has said that the real money is to be made at other games, and while I haven't made what Ray would consider real money, I tend to agree with him.

[/ QUOTE ]

As usual Ray is on the money. I think in a thread a while back started by Fossilman, there were a few respective poker authorities who delved into the game of Chinese Poker. Currently there is only one book on the subject, but that piece of literature is enough for a solid Chinese poker player to run over most games because a skilled player ultimately dominates a less skilled player.

The same can also be said for a game like Showhand. It's actually NL 5 card stud. What I like about this game is the ability to make bold heavy bets. Again there is more skill involved.

It's not hard to conceive that limit hold'em is by far the popular choice because it's much easier to learn and the mark of luck involved attracts far more recreational players without having them go bust.