Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2004, 11:37 PM

Default Re: AK on button.

UTG min raise to T40, CO reraise to T120. U got AKo on button, All three have around starting chip of T1500. What do you do?

At the risk of sounding sarcsastic towards William, and none is meant as I respect his views immensely, I now go all in because this is why I don't want to pay $6 per hand.

Lori
Old 01-12-2004, 11:39 PM

Location: Wonderful Copenhagen, home of The Feared Danish Mob
Default Re: Need quick advise about re-buys.

Actually at Stars, because you get 2000 chips at for the add-on (in stead of 1500 buy-in), it is allways wise to take it. It is only in the case you get the same amount as in the buy-in that you can speculate if it is better to add-on or not. the question is if you are a better player than average or not.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:42 PM

lol

I know I should have... but i choked... just called, missed and folded.

Anyway, Another AKo play aggressively on a rag flop and a KK milking (Betted 1/3 of is stack on all street, he called me down whit 77 [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]) got me to T2500, I'm in buisness for the moment.

-Happy [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2004, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
UTG min raise to T40, CO reraise to T120. U got AKo on button, All three have around starting chip of T1500. What do you do?

At the risk of sounding sarcsastic towards William, and none is meant as I respect his views immensely, I now go all in because this is why I don't want to pay $6 per hand.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the all-in, and i am happy i made the rebuy, now, when my hand holds, i have at least twice as much as Lori.... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2004, 11:45 PM

True, the add-on is 2k instead of 1500, but at that point I have 6k in chips already. My understanding of things is that because the chips are then worth less than the chips I started with, I'd effectively be paying the same amount for a third as many chips as at the start...
Old 01-12-2004, 11:48 PM

Surely, again, it is a question of Tourney EV.

The extra money you need to earn from the value of the top up has to be more than the extra money you would earn from paying for 2000 chips.

If you feel the extra 2k will get you more money in this tourney than entering a $2.25 (3/4 value) tourney would, then you should take the add on,

If however you feel that giving up a $2.25 freeroll tourney would not be worth it for 2000 chips in your position then you shouldn't.

Clearly William is correct in that spending $3 for a $2.25 tourney is bad, but there will come a point where the extra chips are as good as meaningless and the fact that you could win this tourney AND the next tourney for the same cost becomes the important factor.

Lori
Old 01-13-2004, 12:00 AM

Greg Raymer (fossilman) wrote about add-ons some weeks ago. i don't know how to create a link to his post, but I have copyied it below, he clearly explains the why's and how's.
As far as the rebuys, I certainly would prefer joining an ongoing tournament than starting in a new one.

Greg's post:
Here's my method.

If the add-on gives you more chips per dollar, always take it (simple enough, and I doubt we'll see any controversy on this statement).

If the add-on is the same price per chip as the original buyins and rebuys, take it if you're an above average player, and skip it if you're below average.

If you see Chris Ferguson with a T1000 stack, and the average value of every chip in the tournament is $1/T1, you would probably say that Chris's expectation in that event is greater than $1000. As such, each chip in his stack is worth MORE than $1/T1, maybe significantly more.

On the other hand, if some newbie is sitting next to Chris with the same stack, you'd have to say his expectation in that tournament is a LOT less than $1000, so his chips are worth less than $1/T1.

If there is an addon available, $1000 for T1000, Chris will spend $1000 to get chips worth something more than $1000 in his stack. The newbie will spend $1000 to get chips worth LESS than $1000 for his stack.

Solely considering today's monetary EV, Chris should addon, and the newbie should not.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 01-13-2004, 12:06 AM

But the newbie should take it if it's 1500 chips for $1000?

Edit: But then, I suppose we're approaching the question of "Should the newbie be playing in the first place?"
Old 01-13-2004, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting that William disagrees, although he's a monster with a big stack, and I'm probably better short stacked.
Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

To my defence, let me put it this way: if you're good with a big stack, you have good chances to make the money. If you are good with a small stack, it's allways a lot of work and way to often no money. One more reason why I rather rebuy.
Old 01-13-2004, 12:11 AM

Yes, I think so.