Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 08:34 PM

Default Whose a better poker player Sklansky or Negreanu?

Imo David Sklansky is an excellent poker player. He might not be a flashy young hotshot like Negreanu. But when you clear the smoke and the hype i'll take Sklansky as the better poker player.

David is the one guy i watch on television that i am yet to see make a clear mistake. I'm sure it has happened somewhere along the line, but i can't remember any. Some may say he's too tight and all that garbage. Truth is he knows when to make a move. And uses his image of a tight player to steal pots.

Now i'm talking all around poker player here. Not just live, not just tournaments. I think live David has clearly proven himself by doing it for many years(Daniel has not). Tournaments are a much closer discussion. Many think Daniel is better because of the big year and all the hype. And Sklansky doesn't get much positive hype because he doesn't act like a arrogant know it all at the table. He just gets the job done! Also Sklansky will win less because he's more concerned about making money than winning. Daniel is about the fame. Sklansky is about the money. And i will say Daniel could be a better tournament player but i don't know if that is true. I believe it is much closer than one would think. Lets put it this way David is by far a better live player imo and tournaments are much closer to decide who is better.

Now the ones who disagree with me will say Daniel must be better because sklansky didn't except Daniel's headup challenge. This is silly. The challenge could go either way as anything could happen in a given match. And sklansky should not be considered a worse poker player because he doesn't have the willingness to go broke that Daniel has.

This post isn't to discredit Daniel(i think he's a good tourney player, and probably ok live too. Just not as good as he thinks in either arena). It is a post to credit David. And to show not everything is always as it seems imo.

What you guys think?
Old 10-18-2005, 09:21 PM

Default Re: Whose a better poker player Sklansky or Negreanu?

lol
Old 10-18-2005, 10:44 PM

Is this for real? Do you think you can be a judge of their skills based on what you see on TV? News flash, TV poker coverage is horrible, and with a few exceptions, its purely for entertainment value.

There is no question Negreanu is the better tournament player if you were just looking at his results... he also plays higher than Sklansky in cash games (he did at least, before his HU challenges).
Old 10-18-2005, 10:45 PM

1) On what information are you basing your assessment?

2) Why did you make your case that David Sklansky is underrated on 2+2's forums where everybody is likely to agree with you?

3) Did you turn out to be Vince Lepore or what?
Old 10-19-2005, 01:38 AM

Without a doubt DN is a better tourney player and he's proven it. He also plays higher than DS in cash games. Now I'll admit he doesn't play live much anymore, and for 1 reason. Why would he ? He's probably one of the most popular players out there right now, and tournaments give you that exposure. Which in turn leads to endorsments such as games, movies, tv shows, products ( although he hasn't whored himself like Hellmuth yet, but can you blame Hellmuth? He's richer than most high limit cash players right now ) etc. The reason he doesn't play much poker anymore is because he's so involved in the 'business' side of poker nowadays. Being a business man in this age in poker is very smart nowadays.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:41 AM

1 last thing, I don't deny DS is a great player, he is. Maybe him not having that much gamble to him though like others is a good thing ? He's a much better money manager it seems than most others. Why would he want to play in such high games with the best players and high swings ? Does he have anything to prove ? Do they risks far outway the glory? Maybe he can answer that for himself. IMO, I'm a better money manager than accountants. Even if I were at that level, I wouldn't see any need to play so high and risk so much with such little edge.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no question Negreanu is the better tournament player if you were just looking at his results...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, now that you've got that cleared up, who is the better tourney player?
Old 10-19-2005, 01:48 AM

1) based on my opinion.

2) i post it here because i post on 2+2. Should i go to a forum i don't belong to to make my post? Sorry for posting in the forum i belong to.

3)No i didn't turn out to be him
Old 10-19-2005, 01:49 AM

I don't think your question is sufficiently defined.

Are we wondering who has the highest EV in the games they actually play? Who does best against strong players? Who is more likely to be ahead dollarwise at the end of the year? Who is more well-rounded? Who is better in the Bellagio $80/160 hold'em game?

I think you can make a case for either depending on what the question means.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is no question Negreanu is the better tournament player if you were just looking at his results...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, now that you've got that cleared up, who is the better tourney player?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't even think Sklansky would say he's better than Negreanu.