Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 02:14 PM

Default YMTC on a possible angle shooter

2/5 NL. I am playing well and have run my stack to ~1800. Villian is only one to have me covered with ~2200. I have him pegged as a semi decent player. He has run well, but has some skills to back him up.
I believe the pre-river action are irrelevant. I end up with the nut quads. I lead out a bet of $60 and he raises to $150. I verbally announce "raise" and havent touched my chips. he now declares, "I'm all in."
What do you do? Do I make a min raise hoping he really does go all? He may be shooting an angle and only wants me to raise the minimum so he can call and see my cards. Do I make a normal raise or do I push all in?
Old 10-07-2005, 02:20 PM

Default Re: YMTC on a possible angle shooter

you wait for his action and call, put in what you oringally planned to [the min I guess would be appropriate] and then wait for him to hang him self, DO NOT just throw all your chips in before he does.
His verbal bet is binding none the less, and you can have the floor rule it after.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:24 PM

In this situation, I suppose I would confirm his all in ("You're all in? Ok, I call"), and wait for him to table his cards.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:25 PM

Say, "I call" and push all your chips in the middle.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:28 PM

What is the size of the pot? That would help in determining what kind of bet you should make. I'd probably make a bet about the size of the pot, unless it's close to the size of your stack, which then I'd go all in. After all, you have the nuts. You want him to call. You don't make a dime more if he folds. You say the villain is a decent player. I'm assuming you held a pocket pair for your quads? I'd look at it like this then:

1) He was trying to bluff you. You go all in, he folds.

2) He has a full house He raises you enough to get you to call and pay him off (in his mind). He will call your raise, or go all in if he has the best boat possible.

3) He has an overpair for two pair. Unlikely for him to call an all in with the board paired.

I think the only way your all-in works is if he has a full boat. I might err on the side of caution, since you have the nuts. Make a decent sized raise. All in would scare him away in 2 of 3 scenarios. I'm assuming there are no flushes/straights possible. Hope some of this makes sense.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I lead out a bet of $60 and he raises to $150. I verbally announce "raise" and havent touched my chips. he now declares, "I'm all in."
What do you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Verbally state "I call your all-in reraise of my raise" and don't breathe until you get a reaction from the dealer and the player. Make SURE the dealer has registered both yours and his bets. Play it off meekly, like you're uncertain, but don't touch your chips until you're sure the dealer has registered the correct action, thus ensuring your win. Verbal action is, after all, BINDING.

al
Old 10-07-2005, 02:41 PM

Why are you guys making this complicated? Just ask the dealer if his all-in raise is binding even though it was out of turn (in that he declared himself all-in after you said raise but before you said how much.) Doing so doesn't tip the strength of your hand at all.

If the dealer says it's binding you're fine; if he says it isn't binding then just play poker.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:59 PM

that is exactly what I was thinking. Look to the dealer and play dumb. Ask the dealer if his all in stands, and play accordingly.

Since you never declared how much you were raising, I dont know if your bet would be considered completed.

To me this is a borderline angle shoot, but at the same time maybe he is so excited with his boat that he wants to get all your money.

Im curious how it played out
Old 10-07-2005, 03:09 PM

Agreed with the two previous posters. Look immediately to the dealer to confirm that the out-of-turn all-in re-raise is binding.

If not, put in a pot size raise.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:14 PM

I hope you stacked him.