Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2005, 06:14 PM

Default Re: what should i do ?

I would like to say that I am pleased at the display of concern and support that this forum is capable of, provided the time and poster are right.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Let's hug it out, bitches. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2005, 08:19 PM

I used to work in a workers' comp firm.

You cannot pursue workers' compensation once you have been fired. By then, it's too bad.

Employees very often find themselves mysteriously downsized, transferred to offices that are very very long drives away, etc., after they come down with ailments. They suddenly find themselves accused of stealing, tardiness, incompetence, inability to complete work in a timely maner, or some sort of fraud. They find their work evaluations go from A+ to F- overnight, without any change in their work performance to prompt it.

And believe it or not, many seemingly responsible companies let their workers' comp insurance expire or don't even have it, contrary to law. When that happens, you get dumped in with the state's responsibilities, and you can imagine the hassles the state gives you when paying. Or, probably, you can't.

Be alert to any warning signs. If anything bad happens, you might not see it coming anyway, but do your best to prepare. Think twice about new unnecessary purchases or debts. Consolidate the debts you have, if possible. Just clean up your finances. Start thinking about jobs that don't stress your hands as much. Try contrast baths for your hands; they work wonders to promote healing. Look into more ergonomic workplace set-ups, if you can do it without sending your employer into a panic. You might even want to think about training in relaxation, e.g., meditation, biofeedback, etc.

Don't assume any employer has your best interests or any concept of fairness at heart when it comes to money.

Good luck.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:37 PM

You need a powerball: http://www.powerballs.com/

[ QUOTE ]
The perfect instrument to gently rehabilitate lower forearm and wrist joints affected by carpal tunnel syndrome, repetitive strain injury RSI, arthritis or previous breakage

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 11-19-2005, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
in my dream world, my boyfriend goes back and finishes school (he did the same thing as me) and gets a better job to help secure us financially for the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the boyfriend you've posted about before that is kind of a screw up (no offense) and won't get his [censored] together? this situation sucks. i don't have an answer but good luck. i think you really should seriously consider improving your p*ker game. you have the perfect resource here and it doesn't sound like you have much to lose.

[/ QUOTE ]
no offense taken,... but i don't really remember posting about him being a screw up ?. are you thinking of the post about my depressed/jobless friend that people were assuming was about my boyfriend ? because it wasn't.

other than that i'm not sure what you're referring to. we've been together 8 years now, he's always held the same job and i know he wants better for the future. he lacks motivation (like me [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] ), but he is a smart guy.

anyway thanks. i do try to improve my poker game, i play almost every day. i study but not as often as i should since i'd rather play, and i am slower at learning than i'd like. i think i will get better though as long as i don't lose my bankroll [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] bonuses keep me playing for now though , pretty much.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is all so very sad...

Now, listen to your Uncle Milo. If you are going to partner with a smart, but unmotivated man, you are going to need to make some changes.

1. Stop relying on your bf for your security.
2. Go to college/get a real career.
3. Play less, study more.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are all good ideas. I'd just like to add that college doesn't mean all that much, if anything, any more, except to show that you've gone through college. It's not necessarily a money-maker, and can be a great expense that saddles you with a lot of debt without giving you much of a better way to make it back than if you hadn't gone.

Those are a bunch of maybes, though, that can be taken either way depending on your luck, your persistence and creativity in uncovering good jobs, the employment opportunities where you live, etc.

One certainty though is that if you want to go to college not to just say you have gone but to really improve your life, it helps to have a very concrete plan and a practical direction. A degree in, say, anthropology is probably going to mean jack in practical terms in your life, though it may saddle you with a lot of satisfaction in addition to the debt it saddles you with to acquire it. But a degree in something that tends to lead to a concrete job skill or two, or at least toes the line in the way businesses want you to by channeling yourself in the "appropriate" direction so they'll give you a chance, helps one hell of a lot more. There are different ways of going to college, and these days, unless you come from money, doing it the practical way is by far the best use of your time and money. A college degree by itself doesn't mean much of anything anymore and has lost whatever magical cachet it might once have had. The right kind of college degree, though, can still improve your life in a way that goes beyond one's surely estimable but ultimately completely unmarketable soul.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The right kind of college degree, though, can still improve your life in a way that goes beyond one's surely estimable but ultimately completely unmarketable soul.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of the greatest sentences ever written in OOT.

He's right, you know. I have a rather undistinguished history degree from the University of Texas. The difference I noticed in trying to get a job with and without said degree was essentially negligible. So, I started playing cards, and... well. Point is - if you don't want to enter academia, and you don't want to get one of the more "practical" degrees, you can save yourself a lot of time and hassle by just going to the library a lot.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:44 PM

this isn't me,

thank god
Old 11-20-2005, 02:09 AM

this probably won't be any help, but have you tried one of those metal bracelet things? My understanding is that for some people they do absolutely nothing, but for others, they are like some magic panacea for all aches and pains in the arms, wrists, back, etc. It sounds silly to base any kind of serious hope on a stupid bracelet, but who knows, it just may work. either way, hope everything works out for ya.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:18 AM

Lol.

I played a chess game at the US Amateur MidWest a few years ago vs. some dude with one of those.

Easy pushover.

I bet it didn't help with the pain of defeat.....

My team ended up pwning the field too despite a 200 rating disparity with the top teams.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure those don't do jack.

Yugoslav
Old 11-20-2005, 02:34 AM

Are you good with Photoshop? When I lived in Atl I knew a couple of people who worked freelance doing photo restoration, and they made pretty good money at it.

Also, if your boyfriend has been with you seven years and he hasn't busted out a ring, it's time to kick his sorry ass to the curb... I mean unless you're OK with that.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:40 AM

Location: it\'s like a puzzle with pans. if you think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, if your boyfriend has been with you seven years and he hasn't busted out a ring, it's time to kick his sorry ass to the curb... I mean unless you're OK with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

marriage is scary, so i am ok with that. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]