Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 04:57 PM

Default STT player wants to get into MTT, where to start?

Hi, I have played a few thousand STTs but no MTTs. Want to expand my poker skills (hopefully) and get into some MTTs.

No idea where to start. Have read HOH 1 and 2, any ideas on which tournaments I should be looking to enter and how play differs between a STT and MTT.

Thanks and look for more of my posts in the near future here. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-09-2005, 04:59 PM

Default Re: STT player wants to get into MTT, where to start?

Pokerstars probably.

they have a variety of tournaments running all day, from $1 to $150... and lots of people play them so big prize pools.

Party has some decent ones too.

and UB has a good structure for buyins > $100
Old 09-09-2005, 05:27 PM

Give the "deep stack" tournament a try at 18:15 tomorrow on PokerStars. $30 buy-in, 5000 starting chips, 10/20 starting blinds, 30 minute levels, and 1100 maximum entrants. It's going to be fun.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:31 PM

If you play Party SNGs, I suggest start with Party MTTs. If you like antes, try Pokerstars, UB, Full Tilt.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:19 PM

hey 1C5,

I know that this isn't exactly MTT strategy related, but here's a great thread about creating a MTT bankroll that Maulik started about a month ago. The advice that was given about the $11R supersatellite on Stars for the Sunday tourneys is great. Those tourneys aren't running right now because of the WCOOP events, but I assume that they'll return once the WCOOP is done.

gl,

ts-
Old 09-09-2005, 10:44 PM

If I'm not mistaken you play the 22's on Party, maybe 33's now? So you're about in the same boat as me. For starting out, i'd suggest any of the 9+1 satellites on parties. The competition is pretty horrible so I do pretty well and they also teach ya to get deep into the tourney instead of sneaking into a cash. Also any of the 20 or 30 dollar ones should be right up your alley.

As far as adjustments from strictly SNG play, I'd say you have to get used to playing at full tables for the most part, stealing blinds without neccessarily pushing, being able to see more flops early on rather than ultra-tight play. As far as how to make these adjustments, keep reading this forum and post some if you need.