Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 10:27 PM

Default 4-way, flopped quads, with maniac in mix

I know SSHE recommends almost never to slowplay, but I was wondering if this were one of the times when it was called for.

The player on the button is the LAG-giest LAG I've ever seen LAG. He played damn near anything preflop and bet it hard postflop. He was fairly successful with it, beating the donks and bluffing out the weak-tighties.

Advice on all streets, please.

.50/1, 9-handed

Preflop: <font color="green">marchron</font> is BT with 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, CO calls, BT calls, SB calls, <font color="green">marchron checks</font>.

No point raising here, right? I want a cheap flop and I have one.

Flop: (4 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Here's my decision: play 'em hard or play 'em slow?

SB checks, <font color="green">marchron checks</font> . . .

I decided to raise only if CO bet so I could trap them all for two.

. . . CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">BT bets</font> . . .

Well, that didn't work. I decided then to slowplay to keep the dummies in while the LAG padded the pot.

. . . <font color="#666666">SB folds</font>, <font color="green">marchron calls</font>, <font color="#666666">CO folds</font>.

That didn't work, either. Heads-up, slowplaying this becomes standard, right?

Turn: (3 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="green">marchron checks</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BT bets</font>, <font color="green">marchron calls</font>.

River: (5 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="green">marchron checks</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BT bets</font>, <font color="green">marchron raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BT calls</font>.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB (after rake)
Old 08-15-2005, 10:33 PM

Default Re: 4-way, flopped quads, with maniac in mix

Slowplaying is never standard. Betting and raising is standard. If you're going to slowplay, you'd better make a strong case. If the button is the laggiest lag to ever lag, I'm betting out the flop and hoping he raises so I can 3bet and he can cap. Then I'll check/raise the turn. I think you missed a fair amount of value on this hand.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:33 PM

Grunching. Please excuse.

You are first to act with a monster, vs a maniac. Lead out the flop, hopefully everyone calls one to the button, who raises and traps everyone for one more. Lead out the turn, and you will likely lose all but the button, or anyone with a 7. Button will raise, and you reraise, expecting his cap. Repeat on the River.

I don't think you extracted nearly as much as you could have on this hand.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:45 PM

Given this:

[ QUOTE ]
He played damn near anything preflop and bet it hard postflop

[/ QUOTE ]

The answer to this:

[ QUOTE ]
I know SSHE recommends almost never to slowplay, but I was wondering if this were one of the times when it was called for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Should be pretty obvious.

Seriously....bet the flop, bet the turn, and bet the river. Every single one of those streets featured a pretty little scare card that the maniac would just love to represent, and none of which you need to fear. Especially on the flop, which would be decidedly unfrightening to the other players if you led out on.

Slowplaying is rarely correct. I will go so far as to say that it is never correct when you've got an established maniac in the pot.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The player on the button is the LAG-giest LAG I've ever seen LAG. He played damn near anything preflop and bet it hard postflop. He was fairly successful with it, beating the donks and bluffing out the weak-tighties.

[/ QUOTE ]

Use your read, pump the pot. Raise it up every chance you have.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Seriously....bet the flop, bet the turn, and bet the river. Every single one of those streets featured a pretty little scare card that the maniac would just love to represent, and none of which you need to fear. Especially on the flop, which would be decidedly unfrightening to the other players if you led out on.

Slowplaying is rarely correct. I will go so far as to say that it is never correct when you've got an established maniac in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

(Newbie here, so what do I know, but...) I can see valid reasons for slowplaying the flop, even against a maniac.

1. by waiting for the maniac to bet the flop, this might encourage the others to call the flop bet even with not much of a hand. Perhaps they also realize he's an insane maniac and have no respect for his bets and raises.

2. It seems to me that maniacs start salivating at any sign of weakness in their opponents. By checking, then calling the flop, the maniac will think, "Ha ha look at that pathetic weakling with no hand, I will crush him into the dirt!" and from then on out, raise and reraise every bet made to him, sure that one more raise will make you fold.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:10 PM

Why do I see only one marchron raises, but 3 marchron checks and 2 marchron calls? This is even worse when your ill faited slowplay attempt gets heads up, you're STILL checking and calling. Terrible.

Hey, next time you don't feel like making money off quads against your maniac, just toss them my way will you?

This situation is a poker players wet dream. This post however is like being tricked into popping a boner and getting all excited, only to have it ruined by seeing a fat chick in a tiny bikini at the end.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(Newbie here, so what do I know, but...)

[/ QUOTE ]

How long you've been here doesn't matter; they don't start sending you poker vitamins through the mail after so many posts. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
1. by waiting for the maniac to bet the flop, this might encourage the others to call the flop bet even with not much of a hand. Perhaps they also realize he's an insane maniac and have no respect for his bets and raises.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty much a hit or miss flop for anyone in the hand. Either they have a pair, a flush draw, or they're willing to call with overcards or a gutshot or what have you. Nobody is folding a 7 on this flop (or anywhere in the hand once the other one comes on the turn), nobody is folding a flush draw on the flop, and if a guy is willing to call 1 bet from Hero with overcards, then he'll surely be willing to call 2 bets after a maniac raises. Besides which, on the off chance that one of Hero's opponents is a thinking player, he will intepret Hero's lead bet as some sort of a draw rather than a made hand.

Finally, nobody ever believes you flopped quads. Especially when you fastplay them.

[ QUOTE ]
2. It seems to me that maniacs start salivating at any sign of weakness in their opponents. By checking, then calling the flop, the maniac will think, "Ha ha look at that pathetic weakling with no hand, I will crush him into the dirt!" and from then on out, raise and reraise every bet made to him, sure that one more raise will make you fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that Hero never bet in this hand. He check/called both the flop and turn, and then check/raised a double-paired, 3-suited board on the river. He never gave the maniac a chance to try and bully him down.

You have to be able to get inside a maniac's mind here. When he's raising wildly postflop, it's to represent the best possible hand at that moment--he could care less what you have. If you bet the flop, he's going to raise representing the 3. If you bet the turn, he's raising to represent the 7. On the river you can take your pick between either of them or a flush. He will raise, but only if you give him the opportunity. And when Hero check/raises the river, all he does is scare the living bejeezus out of the maniac because that's what a maniac typically does when he does flop the nuts...and the maniac now knows that Hero is probably not going to fold, so what's the point in raising again?
Old 08-15-2005, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How long you've been here doesn't matter; they don't start sending you poker vitamins through the mail after so many posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but if you're interested, you could read this thread. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-15-2005, 11:41 PM

Look, this is what I've finally come to: a player slow-plays to try and make the other players at the table think he has a small hand when he has a big hand, right? So, in the hand you presented, which part of the preceding statement is missing?

It's ok. I've got time.

Think it over.

La-de-deeee, la-de-dahhhhhhh.

Give up? The other players at an Internet .5/1 table DON'T CARE WHAT YOU HAVE. You can't make them think you're weak by slow-playing for the same reason you can't make them think you're strong by bluff-raising...they aren't thinking about your hand. Especially a maniac.

Just go crazy, give up the fancy plays. They're either staying in, or not, and you're better off convincing a maniac (who, by the way, doesn't seem like much of a maniac, here) that you're trying to steal from him than you are trying to finesse him.