Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2005, 08:27 AM

Default Do you pros ever play crappy starting hands like this one

How bad is this preflop call?

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 folds, SB calls.

Turn: (7 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, SB calls.

River: (10 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks.

Final Pot: 10 BB
Old 03-19-2005, 08:40 AM

Default Re: Do you pros ever play crappy starting hands like this one

Of course yes.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:49 AM

Peter would you have played this any differently?
Old 03-19-2005, 08:55 AM

Actually no. Though i occasionally check turn if UTG is pretty aggro to bluff this queen with his A-high very often.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:00 AM

i can't find a place to play it differently.

i do play "crappy hands" but i usually like to have 54s or better as a general rule....and have a few more customers...

turn bet: yes sb may have a 4, but unless he has 64, you have a bunch of outs and need to make UTG+1 pay to hit his A/K/J whatever combo of that he obviously has (likely AK given the cold call and call on the turn). no way he doesn't reaise a pair on the flop or raise your turn bet if he hit his AQ (slightly likely b/c he may fear a straight...)

a river bet aint bein called unless you're beat.

-Barron
Old 03-19-2005, 09:46 AM

I'm usually going to take a shot at the river here. I've got to believe that you'll steal this pot at least 1 out of 10 times.

And as for the preflop call? Not totally out of line, but as the other poster said, usually better to make sure you have a few more opponents chucking money in there.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
a river bet aint bein called unless you're beat.

-Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

While I'm newer to the online arena than most of you, I have found some people who do like to call down with unimproved AK - if only to them flash it to show that I had no business calling from the small / big blind with some holding &lt; AK. That said, considering there are three involved, there is a chance the Small Blind has you beat in some way (random 7?) but won't call IF the other calls. So by betting, you MIGHT get called by lesser hands which then would get a better hand to fold.

Granted, I'm getting called by AK as I'm a new guy on Party Poker so invariably a bunch of you are calling me down when you shouldn't as your Poker Tracker stats don't have 1,000,000 hands on me.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 03-19-2005, 10:19 AM

standard preflop call.

i like peter's idea of checking the turn so that UTG might bluff at the queen. i disagree with dci that you need to protect your hand against AJ/AK. you really dont. not only is an ace a tainted out for UTG, but the money you will make when that ace falls more than compensates for when a paint falls that costs you the pot. you are behind to the SB a good portion of the time.

barron also makes a good point himself. he says that players will call down with AK unimproved, which may be the case here. if you bet the turn, it may be correct to bet the river because if UTG calls, it may be difficult for the SB to overcall with a hand that beats yours. betting the river may actually fold the best hand, and you may also be gaining value from that bet. granted, sb probably wont fold a better hand very often, but even if he only folds a small portion of the time, the bet is well worth it.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That said, considering there are three involved, there is a chance the Small Blind has you beat in some way (random 7?) but won't call IF the other calls. So by betting, you MIGHT get called by lesser hands which then would get a better hand to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is an excellent point...

i was assuming that the sb would overcall with his 4 because its pretty obvious the other guy has AK...

betting a marginal hand on the river into a person likely to call with a worse hand but forcing a marginal better hand to overcall is an expert play. the problem is pot size and calling frequency, the bigger the pot, the more likely you are to get called down but also the higher your betting frequency should be since you have to call if checked given the burgeoning size of the pot. its kinda tied to "doing what you must to win it" ... if you were GOING TO CALL the other guys bet on the river, then not betting the river yourself was a mistake...

on party 15/30 i think sb calls with any 4 here...BUT would he fold a better 3 often enough? if so then you must bet.

-Barron
Old 03-19-2005, 11:55 AM

i see what your'e saying about the tainted out.

cuts his outs in half really, but you'll get at least a bet if you hit the a.

one thing about the turn river combo though...

if we can play backwards and think a river bet is worth it, then you must bet the turn. if you check the turn, the sb will never fold the 4 to the overcall.

-Barron