Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2005, 11:03 AM

Default How do you play this very strange bubble situation.

I did actually think maybe I should just fold this Preflop...nah....all in! This doesn't happen that often. Should I just chaulk it up to bad luck or was it really a situation that I can learn from and avoid recreating?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t600 (4 handed) converter

Hero (t940)
SB (t690)
BB (t1030)
UTG (t5340)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t940 (All-In)</font>, SB calls t390 (All-In), BB calls t340.

Flop: (t2570) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t2570) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: (t2570) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t2570

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
SB has Qc Ad (one pair, queens).
BB has 9c Th (high card, queen).
Hero has Js Jc (one pair, jacks).
Outcome: SB wins t2070. Hero wins t500. </font>

Next hand I get is 65o I fold.... next hand I'm all in in the BB and I get knocked out and the guy with 180 get's 3rd Ugh!
Old 04-26-2005, 11:09 AM

Default Re: How do you play this very strange bubble situation.

Well there's nothing for you to learn here except if you were actually considering folding the JJ, don't do it.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:10 AM

I'm all in every time in this situation. If I lose I lose but I've got a hand that stands up well on its own and thats all you can ask.

The BB calling with 10 9o is really silly. Must be an 11.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:13 AM

Yes it was an $11...my thought here is that I have heard others say that in this situation that laying anything but AA or KK is the right choice as making the money is the primary concern it's not as if I'm really going to have a chance for 2nd or 1st with my short stack.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:15 AM

340 to win 2570? What is he supposed to do? Fold and save those 430?
Old 04-26-2005, 11:23 AM

Your right. Those are good odds. My bad.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes it was an $11...my thought here is that I have heard others say that in this situation that laying anything but AA or KK is the right choice as making the money is the primary concern it's not as if I'm really going to have a chance for 2nd or 1st with my short stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

The "others" are very wrong. You can easily make 2nd here, but, more importantly, can make a run at first if you win between 900 and 1500 chips with your JJ. Even more importantly, if you do something silly, like fold JJ, you are likely to be forced by the blinds to go all-in on an inferior hand. You are just as likely (if not more) to get blinded out if you fold JJ than you are to end up finishing out of the money if you push with them, and pushing has all sorts of added equity. This is not close. Push, with extreme prejudice.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The "others" are very wrong. You can easily make 2nd here, but, more importantly, can make a run at first if you win between 900 and 1500 chips with your JJ. Even more importantly, if you do something silly, like fold JJ, you are likely to be forced by the blinds to go all-in on an inferior hand. You are just as likely (if not more) to get blinded out if you fold JJ than you are to end up finishing out of the money if you push with them, and pushing has all sorts of added equity. This is not close. Push, with extreme prejudice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, don't listen to them, I find that it would have been really really really hard for you not to get 1st or 2nd had you taken that pot down.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:40 AM

easy push. Big Bind will call with just about anything and you have a real hand and a good chance to double up. As a bonus the SB got in on this hand and if the BB would have won it all you would have got 3rd because of your chip count.

If you throw this away you are going to be the first through the blinds again and all in with whatever random hand you can get. Play'em when you got'em.

Bad outcome but good play.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:44 AM

One q: what is strange about it?

eastbay