Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 04:33 PM

Default RNG - Online Poker Sites

I'm a new poster so I'm not sure if this subject has been touched on. But just out of curiousity do people think the RNG virtual deck of cards in a site such as Party Poker is constantly being shuffled or if it is in a solid state after the start of a new hand? If the deck is constantly in motion then the outcome of the cards would change depending on the exact moment players choose an action and the flop, turn, and river are delt. I've thought of this many times where I have waited to make a call and then wonder if somehow the time I took to call changed the card being delt. Maybe this is a stupid question I dont know...

what are peoples thoughts on this and is there any research or proof that leans one way or the other.

"Go with God Castle" "God's gonna sit this one out"
Old 05-05-2005, 06:33 PM

Default Re: RNG - Online Poker Sites

Ahh, thats very interesting fellas. Hey if this post was stupid someone at least tell me...
Old 05-05-2005, 08:13 PM

Any reasonable computer programmer would shuffle once.

This would take far too much CPU power to constantly shuffle thousands of tables and would be completely pointless.

Even if they did shuffle randomly, it wouldn't mean anything for you.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:57 PM

wouldn't the most efficient programming be to randomly select the first (players x 2) cards in the deck, and then randomly select the remaining cards if and when they are needed?

There is also a security arguement for generating the cards 'just in time', as it would be harder for a read-only hacker to exploit the system.

It seems to me that the optimal programming for CPU usage would be to never generate a card more than once, and the optimal programming for security would be to never generate a card in advance.

There might be something to the idea that the turn or river is randomly chosen when the turn or river comes. But as TC pointed out, so what? Nothing you can do with the information.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:51 PM

As long as its random (and it is to all practical purposes) then it makes no difference.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:47 AM

The cards are continuously shuffled. If you don't believe me search for it in the archives. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]