Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2005, 06:03 PM

Default QQ with ace flopped?

Yo, I'm curious as to what others at these limits do when an ace flops with 99+ pairs that have 4 players or so. I figured because I'm acting first I would check and fold to a bet. With no reads, is this the right play? I figered the LP bettor would have bet a Ace or 9 on the flop, which is why I called on the turn, but probably would have folded to a river bet because it completed bd flush and overcard. With no reads on a .5/1 table, do people usually bet in my position? Should I raise the turn bet?

Party Poker 0.50/1.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks, CO checks, Button checks.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Button folds, Hero calls, MP1 folds.

River: (6.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: 6.25 BB.

all input appreciated, thanks.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:07 PM

Default Re: QQ with ace flopped?

I bet that flop, and I bet that turn, and I check/call that river. If nothing out of line happens.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:14 PM

Bet flop and fold to a raise. There are no straight or flush draws present so the only hand they will be raising is one with an A in it. Bet turn as well if its headsup. If two or more opponents call you on the flop you will probably be drawing to two outs but your position is favorable if you get headsup. Definately bet that flop.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:20 PM

Because of the no draws, why do I bet the turn after betting the flop if I get called? Isn't that just asking to be called by a-x? Especially why do I bet with the 9 on the turn?

thanks for the replies.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because of the no draws, why do I bet the turn after betting the flop if I get called? Isn't that just asking to be called by a-x? Especially why do I bet with the 9 on the turn?

thanks for the replies.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the loose passive game that you're probably in, your opponents might be calling you on the flop with two broadway cards, 84o, lower pocket pairs, and yes Ax. Assuming that you're beat, when no one's shown you any strength, isn't the way to win at this game.

When you check the flop and the turn, you're telling the guy holding 55 that his hand's good, and he's going to bet it if he's aggressive.

If you've still got three callers by the time you get to the river, then you can start to worry more about Ax. You've then got to look at the pot size, what draws your opponents might have been on, etc. to figure out your action there.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the turn is a good place to bet because it looks like you have the 9 because your betting out in first position. If you get raised on the turn fold.

I also would bet this flop.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:41 PM

Ok the main thing was I guess the overlying question of do I assume I'm in a loose game. That was the reason I wasn't sure if, void of reads, people would bet here. My AF is pretty healthy at 2.2, but lately these situations have been confusing me because of the mixture of hands that people have. Thanks for the help, I'll start doing more continuation bets into overcards.

appreciate it.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:05 PM

I think betting flop is best..I'd call a raise, check call or check fold turn depending on your read of the raiser. If more than one caller..check fold turn, esp with that card.
IF you check flop and all check around, you HAVE to bet that turn regardless of what falls IMHO (even ace).
by checking on the flop you announce you dont have Ace, and give free card to all those fishy fellas. A turn bet says, 'hey I still have the best hand, and maybe i was trying for check raise'. Fold to raise.
by the time CO bets, you've made your bed, given away the lead, and now have a tough time calling..nonetheless, you have to call this now IMO

Brian
Old 11-19-2005, 07:12 PM

That's the tough part of being out of position..
One way I look at it is..would I call a bet here?
If so, go ahead and bet yourself, you may still have the best hand, and you keep the aggression in your court.
brian
Old 11-21-2005, 11:56 AM

In a full ring, there's a 75% chance that another player has an A dealt to him if YOU, as hero, have an A. Since YOU don't have an A, the likelihood is that two other guys received an A. And it is unlikely that both folded their A? preflop.

I'm not comfortable folding this hand, but I'm certainly not comfortable donating chips, either. What you really need is information, and I'm not sure how betting out gets it for you; so I'm in disagreement with those who say to do so. I suppose the situation would be easier if you had accurate reads on your opposition, but I personally don't see how.

I'd like to hear some feed back on this one from Sklansky, et al. It's a situation that occurs a lot in my play.