Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-14-2005, 09:12 PM

Default they say poker is one long session

i dont think this is true

i play each session as what its called - a "session". i try to develop an ebb and a flow to my play, and use it to my advantage. usually when i sit down, it's not against the same people over and over, so my "image" is still a clean slate.

for example, for the first part of my sessions, i like to be very very aggressive/loose. i play 6-max, but for the first 4-6 orbits i will be re-raising with a lot more hands. i will re-raise a UTG raiser and an MP caller with 67s. i will do it 2 hands later with 44.

the benefit of this is that when people start adjusting and realizing i am raising at like 30% PFR, i gradually switch to a tighter game (but maintaining the same aggressiveness). if i've been re-raising A LOT, then once people start realizing i'm re-raising with crap, i can finally get some action with AA-QQ, AK when i re-raise that.

i mean, how many times have you been playing, and someone opens up 3xBB and you re-raise on the button with AA, and everyone folds? or its folded to you on the button with AA and you raise 3xBB and the blinds fold?

this is why i play sessions separately, not as one long session.

thoughts? i just like to play one session like a separate thing, and hopefully at the end have people calling me down with top pair weak kicker and paying me off big time.

basically i dont like to play the same game. my vpip/pfr is an average - not an indicator of how i'm playing this hand, this moment. this is more than just "adjusting" to the situation, like a maniac table, or a rock garden. this is creating a session, creating an image, and then using that image.

maybe a lot of you already do this, in fact, probably a lot of you do this