Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2005, 10:09 PM

Default Re: Is A-Rod \"Becomming\" a Yankee?????

[ QUOTE ]
i think he became a yankee when varitek face smushed him

[/ QUOTE ]

No, its been argued here often that he isn't considered a "Yankee" yet.

By the way, why didn't Varitek take his mask off during that scuffle??? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Joe
Old 04-26-2005, 10:16 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
By the way, why didn't Varitek take his mask off during that scuffle??? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because us Jackets don't want to ruin our faces. Also, he didn't want to catch AIDS.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:17 PM

By the way, why didn't Varitek take his mask off during that scuffle???

that would be a -EV move. just ask cashman about those, he seems to be real good at spotting them.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, he didn't want to catch AIDS.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he didn't want to catch AIDS, then he really should consider using condoms when getting pounded by Ortiz! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Joe
Old 04-26-2005, 10:47 PM

A two handed girly slap of the opposing team's pitcher in any context will never be an acceptable action in baseball. Never. It's not the move of someone who is purely trying to win; it's a Busch-league move pulled by losers.

Yes, Jeter did come up through the Yankee system. And he's their captain, not that baseball captains really matter. Here's a fun fact: since 1985, no Yankee (nor anyone brought up through their farm system) has won an MVP. In that time, they have brought in 4 (5 if you count the one Sheffield didn't get) players who were MVPs on other teams.

Thier farm system sucks and their coaching isn't anything special. The only advantage the Yankees have over any other team is their market, and it sure does suck that they get to have the best team every year because of that lone factor.

Lastly, if it's between chosing an "evil" that has the 2 highest paid shortstops in baseball and something else, I'll take something else.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think he became a yankee when varitek face smushed him

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's my cue to post in this thread.
&lt;-------------------
Old 04-27-2005, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
A-rod will still suck when the game is on the line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really, A-Rod sucks? Are you sure of that? How many 3rd basemen hit over 30 home runs last year? How many did it learning their new position? How many "sucky" MVP's have there been in baseball.

Care to fix your post??

[/ QUOTE ]

got it covered for ya.

A-Rod (2001-2004) in close and late situations (per mlb.com) .239 BA

last year he hit .265 w/ the game on the line, by far the best year of his career (in fact, prior to 2001 they get worse, like sub .200 worse)

a 3HR game in April? Please.

This just in: Tuffy Rhodes is becoming a true Cub.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:43 AM

Per ESPN.com his three year splits (2002-2005) for "close and late" come out to a .937 OPS, compared to a .967 OPS in other times. His BA drops slightly (to .265. from .288), his OBP gets higher, and his SLG drops but his ISO stays the same. Probably due to facing closers or relievers who take the bat out of his hands.

I can't find the three year splits on MLB.com, but I'm guessing his .240 BA in these situations are more valuable than some player's .280 BA...
Old 04-27-2005, 04:37 AM

you might be right, based on espn's splits, although they don't go as far back as i'd like. he matches up well with bernie williams' .300 avg in close and late, when you convert it to Rc/g (7.28 vs. 7.16)...then again, those 99-01 numbers were pretty bad, and bernie's pretty old these days...compare him to Pujols (which is fair, i think) and his .317BA, .431OBA, 1.016OPS, and 8.30 Rc/g, and he doesn't do so well.

that being said, it'll take a lot of 3HR, 10RBI games in April, May, and June to make me forget him going 0-4 w/o hitting the ball out of the infield in a game 7. you're getting paid $25M and the best you can do in the biggest game of your life is 4 ground balls? that's the ultimate pressure situation, IMO.

there's no denying a-rod's a stat machine, but so was mo vaughn for a while, and we used to bet on how he'd strike out when the game was on the line.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Per ESPN.com his three year splits (2002-2005) for "close and late" come out to a .937 OPS, compared to a .967 OPS in other times. His BA drops slightly (to .265. from .288), his OBP gets higher, and his SLG drops but his ISO stays the same. Probably due to facing closers or relievers who take the bat out of his hands.

I can't find the three year splits on MLB.com, but I'm guessing his .240 BA in these situations are more valuable than some player's .280 BA...

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude. You know a lot about baseball.