Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2004, 08:00 AM

Default Are play money tables \"bad for you\"?

Sure it doesnt rot your teeth, but does make it for bad practice?

Once you fold the first hand because you have 4 idiots who go all in on the first preflop, Ive found playing mostly enjoyable. But I was curious if you guys think playing at play money tables makes bad practice.

I only play with money twice a month at personal 30 dollar tournaments with friends. (about 20 of us) and the occasional trip to AC. Although Ive made more money than Ive lost, Im the type of guy who only bets with money Im willing to lose. However, Im always looking to improve my game, is there any other to improve other than throwing your money into a pot?
Old 12-31-2004, 08:19 AM

Default Re: Are play money tables \"bad for you\"?

I don't think they are any good for your game because, as you point out, they aren't very realistic. I recommend that you play some micro limit poker on Stars or UB. You can play .01/.02 if you want. That won't have much of an effect on your bankroll, but it's real poker so you can begin to track and critique your own play. 300x the big bet would be, what, $6? You could plan to build your bankroll up from there if you wanted, with essentially no risk.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:32 AM

Thanks for the advice, but if the .01/.02 tables are so inconsequential to the bankroll, why wouldnt playing them have the same problem as the play money tables? In other words, does the 6 dollars really filter out the idiot factor?
Old 12-31-2004, 09:46 AM

No, the .01/.02 and .02/.04 play pretty much the same as play money. You start to see something similar to an actual poker game at .05./.10 although that is still questionable at times.
Old 12-31-2004, 10:26 AM

I don't know if they can harm your game but they aren't Poker. Poker is not poker without money at risk. When I first set up my account on Pokerstars I went to a play money table to get used to the software.

It was a no limit table and I folded my first few hands but noticed that almost everyone was seeing the flop. So I decided to try an experiment. It was my BB and the whole table limped in for the minimum. I had some bullshiit hand but it didn't matter, this was an experiment.

I raised all-in, my whole play money bank roll whatever it was. Then I watched in amusement as the whole table, one by one called my bet. So if you want to waste your time there, fine, but I wouldn't.

Edit: To improve your game without playing for money try the Wilson software that lets you play against computer players. They have live game and tournament. I have these and found them useful, but of course nothing can replace real life play to improve your game.