Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2004, 12:13 PM

Default bubble trouble

i played in 20 SnGs this weekend and towards the end of the weekend i ran in to a string of about 4 4th place finishes in a row. so i wanted to ask about my bubble agression and play on a couple of hands to ask for some advice/input on how you would play these hands. i think that i played both OK but ... well enough of my thoughts. fire away!

bisonbison's hand converter

Hand #1

i put the table on pretty loose with lots of calling PF and some minimal raising..

Party Poker No-Limit $5 + 1 Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (4 handed)

BB (t3115)
Hero (t1090)
Button (t2135)
SB (t1660)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Hero calls t50, <font color="CC3333">Button raises to t275</font>, SB folds, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t1090 (All-In)</font>, Button calls t815.

Flop: (t2255) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t2255) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t2255) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t2255

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero has As Js (two pair, aces and nines).
Button has Ad Td (two pair, aces and tens).
Outcome: Button wins t2255. </font>

HAND #2 - while this one is not on the bubble per say as there were more people still around, it seemed like a definitive hand since there were 2 players almost all in at the end. was i too weak/tight here?

again typical $5 PP table but more loose agression with lots of pre-flop raising as you'll see below

Party Poker No-Limit (5/1) Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed)

MP3 (t685)
CO (t275)
Button (t565)
Hero (t785)
BB (t757)
UTG (t655)
UTG+1 (t1080)
UTG+2 (t788)
MP1 (t705)
MP2 (t1705)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls t15, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls t15, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls t15, Button calls t15, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t90) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets t90</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises to t180</font>, Button folds, Hero folds, BB folds, UTG folds, MP1 calls t90.

Turn: (t450) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets t80 (All-In)</font>, MP1 calls t80.

River: (t610) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t610

Results in white below: <font color="white">
MP1 has Js 3d (one pair, jacks).
CO has 9d Kc (one pair, nines).
Outcome: MP1 wins t610. </font>
Old 09-27-2004, 12:30 PM

Default Re: bubble trouble

1st one is player dependent.

2nd is fine.

Stop playing $5+1's

-SmileyEH
Old 09-27-2004, 01:18 PM

Hand one I would raise to 150 (my standard raise, unless stack sizes dictate push/fold, which in this case they don't). You have a pretty good hand 4-handed, but not one I'd want to go all-in with. Usually when you get called, you are behind. Don't understand your opponent on this one. My only guess is that he didn't respect your limp-reraise all-in, which is another reason to open raise.

Hand 2 looks good. I have no problem folding second pair with a bet and raise in front of you. Hope you took notes on your opponents though.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Stop playing $5+1's

[/ QUOTE ]

that's probably the best advice! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2004, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My only guess is that he didn't respect your limp-reraise all-in, which is another reason to open raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree I should have raised to start, although I wonder if he would have just called or reraised it. I figured the latter so went for it.

Also, by betting 150 and then calling a raise say ~125 (since he bet out 275) am I on the verge of being pot committed at that point?

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 2 looks good. I have no problem folding second pair with a bet and raise in front of you. Hope you took notes on your opponents though.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes - and can't wait to get involved with them again!