Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 06:35 PM

Default Re: When did you quit hearing music...

a) The Dead
b) Live/ Dead
c) Dark Star
d) 17
Old 12-08-2005, 06:43 PM

I got into lots of albums in a huge way growing up, but I think the one that might have made one of the deepest down to the bone impressions on me, where I could practically smell and taste every beat and really grooved on every last detail of the music, was Remain in Light by The Talking Heads. Speaking in Tongues had a similar effect on me, but probably not as much. Remain in Light is definitely one of my favorite music experiences to this day.

Also Gang of Four. Though the music was simpler, it was really unusual in that the bass took the lead, and the lyrics were extremely witty and biting and angry.

And XTC did it for me too. I like really sonically dense music with lots of things going on musically on different levels, so you can choose to listen to different parts of the song instead of just basically having one thing thumped into your head over and over and nowhere else to go in the song besides that. And usually I like witty or incisive lyrics. I got into XTC's Senses Working Overtime enormously, and could listen to that over and over a ridiculous amount of times. Also Generals and Majors and many of their others.

Also a big fan of Peter Gabriel. The energy and range of So is phenomenal, and it's intensely musical. Liked his earlier ones too; Red Rain, Solisbury Hill, etc.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A) Sublime
B) Forty Oz to Freedom
C) The whole album
D) 12 or 13

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah yes, this a great album, one of my faves.
As is The Wall. Pink Floyd is one of those bands that I listened to a few times when I was 13-14 and absolutley hated. Then, I revisited them about 19 or 20 y/o, and loved.

These are all great albums, 00t has great taste apparently.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I got into lots of albums in a huge way growing up, but I think the one that might have made one of the deepest down to the bone impressions on me, where I could practically smell and taste every beat and really grooved on every last detail of the music, was Remain in Light by The Talking Heads. Speaking in Tongues had a similar effect on me, but probably not as much. Remain in Light is definitely one of my favorite music experiences to this day.

Also Gang of Four. Though the music was simpler, it was really unusual in that the bass took the lead, and the lyrics were extremely witty and biting and angry.

And XTC did it for me too. I like really sonically dense music with lots of things going on musically on different levels, so you can choose to listen to different parts of the song instead of just basically having one thing thumped into your head over and over and nowhere else to go in the song besides that. And usually I like witty or incisive lyrics. I got into XTC's Senses Working Overtime enormously, and could listen to that over and over a ridiculous amount of times. Also Generals and Majors and many of their others.

Also a big fan of Peter Gabriel. The energy and range of So is phenomenal, and it's intensely musical. Liked his earlier ones too; Red Rain, Solisbury Hill, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about Peter Gabriel's early Genesis stuff, dig that?
Old 12-08-2005, 06:53 PM

I came to hear him after that point, and don't remember his Genesis stuff particularly. I do think I liked a few of those, though. But mostly I think of Genesis when it had Phil Collins, who I couldn't stand. Although Collins' first solo album wasn't bad.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don’t think 15 is young for the Doors. 15 is when you are supposed to discover the Doors and think you are the only one who understands Jim and vice versa. By 18 I hope you have moved on to other music or you will turn that guy who lives with their parents still, driving a "bitchin" car and most probably have some sort of wispy facial hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

If there's one thing I don't believe in regarding music, it's "moving on" because you think you're smarter or slicker or more experienced. That's like saying you can't like comedy anymore because now you're into drama and have grown up a lot, or that now that you've matured you realize Disney sucks. Take things for what they are or you're being dishonest with yourself. The people who think they're "progressing" by changing the music they're listening to mostly make me laugh. Especially since they're both usually just moving from one crappy band to another and because they're often so desperate that everybody knows they're listening to "the right music" now. The music hasn't changed or gained or lost any worth. They're just trippin' on themselves and hurrying to congratulate themselves for their imagined evolving heightened state of grooviness.

I also don't think of people who listen to The Doors the way you do at all. You sound like you're speaking from very personal experience with your peculiar imagery and very narrow image of the Doors music and the "type" of person who listens to them.

I think you've give us a slice of personal biography and where your thinking is at rather than said anything cogent about either music or the Doors in that post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Super! I still think the Doors suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Up to you. That's a clearer and better statement than all the strange personal associations you had regarding them.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

A)Who was the artist that opened your eyes? (Hendrix)
B)Album (AYE?)
C)Song (Third Stone from the Sun)
D) How old were you? (18)

[/ QUOTE ]

A) Hendrix
B) Are You Experienced?
C) Are You Experienced? (especially the guitar solo)
D) 15
Old 12-08-2005, 08:56 PM

When I was around 18 or 19 I remember listening to "YYZ" by Rush on their "Moving Pictues" album and realizing that Geddy Lee was a great bass player.

I also remember listening to The Ramones "Rocket to Russia" album when I was around 14 -15 and thinking "Hey I can play that".
Old 12-08-2005, 09:00 PM

Radiohead--The bends
Planet Telex
15 or 16
Old 12-08-2005, 09:03 PM

Fuel, Sunburn, Shimmer, 14.