Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 08:15 PM

Default Re: Schumer, Leahy, Boxer, Pelosi, Reid in Unison Budget Deficit Too H

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
How so? I could understand the argument if a higher earner gave his money directly to a lower earner, but everyone gives to the government and certainly higher earners benefit from government spending more than lower earners. And anyway, in practice, our progressive taxes are virtually cancelled out by our flat and regresssive taxes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am pretty sure the highest tax payers dont receive welfare, Medicare, Medicaid, unemployment , food stamps, etc. People that tend to benefit the most from these programs are those little or no taxes. It might not be as direct as you or I walking down the street and handing a personal check to someone on the outs, but in practice, it might as well be.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:36 PM

"I am pretty sure the highest tax payers dont receive welfare, Medicare, Medicaid, unemployment , food stamps, etc. People that tend to benefit the most from these programs are those little or no taxes. It might not be as direct as you or I walking down the street and handing a personal check to someone on the outs, but in practice, it might as well be."

Your analysis is simple minded and false. There are of course some government programs that primarily benefit those in low income groups. However, there are also a number of programs that either benefit all citizens relatively equally or primarily benefit those with higher incomes. Social security, for example, is in essesnce subsidized by everyone except the rich since income is exempt from SS taxes above a certian threshold.

I would also argue that even though most conservatives frequently complain about a loosely defined "bureaucracy," they derive significant benefits from regulatory agencies such as the SEC, FBI, FDA, etc. Also transportation funding disproportionatly benefits those well off enough to get around by car. Finally, there are a number of tax deductions and loopholes that exclusively benefit people with money. Examples include the mortgage deduction, business deductions, and charitable giving deductions.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:35 PM

Not just those things, but also the basic infrastructure that the government provides. This is, in essence, Warren Buffet's argument, that he is the beneficiary of the luck of being born in the United States because the set-up allowed him to use his talents to exploit the capitalist system to his potential. And that since he has benefited so greatly from it, he should contribute greatly as well.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:53 PM

Default Re: Schumer, Leahy, Boxer, Pelosi, Reid in Unison Budget Deficit Too High

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think these folks will be proposing lots of spending cuts? I don't. Do you think these folks will be proposing income tax increases? I do.

Before we get the usual "they only want to raise taxes on the rich" response, let's define rich and then let's actually have a break down about which income groups pay what percentage of income taxes. After that let's quantify how much revenue the new income taxes will bring in, how much more will be needed in the outlying years, and what economic assumptions the estimates are based on. While we're at it, what is the desired income distribution? I'v stated this before, until politicians can tell me what their desired income distribution is I will support no increases in income taxes. I think this is a fair question and one that needs be answered before politicians ask people to make "sacrifices" by paying more taxes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Richard Bay says it best. I'll paraphase, "When I was making 30K a year taxes were killing me. Last year I make over a million and they didn't bother me at all."
Old 10-27-2005, 12:00 AM

Default Re: Schumer, Leahy, Boxer, Pelosi, Reid in Unison Budget Deficit Too High

[ QUOTE ]

I think Richard Bay says it dumbest. I'll paraphase, "When I was making 30K a year taxes were killing me. Last year I make over a million and they didn't bother me at all."

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

People making 30k usually have so few deducks as to make them inconsequential and therefore they pay the max in their "bracket."

People making 1mm usually have more than a few deducks: IRA's, 401k's, 2nd "homes," etc., etc., etc., and therefore manage to live quite well while paying a smaller % of gross income.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I think Richard Bay says it dumbest. I'll paraphase, "When I was making 30K a year taxes were killing me. Last year I make over a million and they didn't bother me at all."

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

People making 30k usually have so few deducks as to make them inconsequential and therefore they pay the max in their "bracket."

People making 1mm usually have more than a few deducks: IRA's, 401k's, 2nd "homes," etc., etc., etc., and therefore manage to live quite well while paying a smaller % of gross income.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is you point? It sounds like you agree with me? So who is the dumb one here Richard or ....?

P.S. I propose a rule that you should not be able to change someones quote. This is to much like Sean Hannity.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:32 AM

I started to explain but decided I'd be pissin' inta' tha wind.

[ QUOTE ]

P.S. I propose a rule that you should not be able to change someones quote. This is to much like Sean Hannity.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]