Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 04:41 AM

Default String of Car Bombs Kills 99 in Iraq

String of Car Bombs Kills 99 in Iraq

Apparently aimed at killing a large number of Shiite civilians, the string of bombings started just before sunset when the first blast ripped through an open-air market crowded with Iraqis buying vegetables. The next bomb exploded at a bank just yards away, followed by a third on a nearby street of clothing shops.

Freedom fighters in action. Anybody want to condemn the targeting of innocent civillians here? Don't think I'll read anything today about anyone on the left condemning these attacks as what they are, murder, except if they pin it on the U.S.

Sunni insurgents have vowed to wreck the referendum, whose passage is crucial to prospects for starting a withdrawal of American troops. Al-Qaida in Iraq has declared "all-out war" on the Shiite majority that dominates Iraq's government, and moderate Sunni Arab leaders called on their community to reject the constitution, saying it will fragment Iraq and leave them weak compared to Shiites and Kurds.

You mean like a minority can't oppress the majority any longer? How are the Sunni's getting screwed here?

Sunnis make up only 20 percent of the population, but they could defeat the charter because of a loophole in voting rules: If two-thirds of voters in any three of Iraq's 18 provinces vote "no," the referendum fails — even if an overall majority approves. There are four provinces where Sunnis could potentially cross that margin.

So let me get this straight, if 2/3 of the voters in the Sunni provinces reject the constitution, it is not enacted. How are the Sunnis getting screwed here?

Sunni leaders complain the constitution does not emphasize Iraq's unity and Arab character. They say its federal system — which would allow Shiites in the south and Kurds in the north to form mini-states — will leave Sunnis in a weak middle region, cheated of oil resources.

They want to make sure that they a get a peice of the oil money, fair enough. I think my idea would be looked on favorably which is to make the Iraqi oil industry a publicly traded entity and have "equal" ownership by all Iraqis.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:21 AM

Default Re: String of Car Bombs Kills 99 in Iraq

And the "last throes" continue ...

q/q
Old 10-01-2005, 06:54 AM

Default String theories

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody want to condemn the targeting of innocent civillians here?

[/ QUOTE ]
Me.

Now, anybody want to condemn the strategy that has dragged Iraq closer to civil war and brought terrorism and religious fundamentalism back to the country? Anyone want to condemn the strategy that looks set to put women's position in Iraqi society back a hundred years?

[ QUOTE ]
Al-Qaida in Iraq has declared "all-out war" on the Shiite majority.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have seen nothing of the sort, in any Qaeda declaration. Qaeda is attacking both Sunni and Shia people who are deemed to be collaborators or simply "not fighting against the infidel invaders". The idea of bringing about civil war between Shias and Sunnis, through terror bombings (of civilians), probably comes from the Sunni side, pure and simple.