Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2004, 07:58 PM

Default lucky lucky 15-30

Recent discussions about not raising out worse hands led me to this play whattdya think?

Good live 15-30. Players here like to peel one off on the flop to see if they can pick up a draw.

I limp utg+1 w/ KQo after one limper, co limps, as do the blinds 5 see a flop of Q,2,6 suits unimportant here. Utg bets I'm 99% sure I have the best hand and call thinking the only card I don't really want to see is an A, and maybe a J. Cutoff and bb call. Turn is a J, and it's checked to me I bet co calls and bb raises. This could mean 2 pair, KT, or even AJ based on the way I played the flop. Utg folds, I call, co folds. River K bb bets I raise he calls and shows J2, and my hand is good. Comments?
Old 03-22-2004, 08:10 PM

Default Re: lucky lucky 15-30

Actually, this hand proves exactly why you MUST raise this on the flop. If you had AQ in this situation, I can see the argument for calling this on the flop and raising it on the turn (though that's also pretty risky). It'd also be fine to slowplay it if you had 2 pair or a set. But though you do have a made hand (and likely the best hand), it's too weak for you not to protect it. As it stands, you ended up putting 2 big bets in the pot with only 8 outs.

You can't make people not suck out on you. However, those times that they do, they should pay dearly for it.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:29 PM

Default Re: lucky lucky 15-30

FWIW I intended to raise the turn. However, am I upset that that J2o called 1 bet on the flop w/ bottom pair when I know he would've folded for 2? I dunno. He's getting 8 or 9:1 on the flop w/ 5 outs, and that's assuming hitting his J is good which it very well may not be.