Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2003, 11:04 AM

Default Reverse Tilt

Everyone these days is worried about tilt..but what about reverse-tilt?

20-40 game. I've been in the game an hour and a half, and am up 1650 or so...so I'm running pretty damn good, and hitting my blinds. In fact, I'm feeling great, and am really pumped up.

So I play 45s utg and get creamed.

So I play 58s to a raise in my small blind and get creamed.

So I play 66 to a three-bet in my big blind and get creamed.

So I play KTo utg and get creamed.

So suddenly I'm only up 420 or so, and I'm steaming. Have I fallen victim to reverse tilt, ie. playing terrible because you are running over the field, and feel like you can play anything and win? How do you deal with this if it happens?

Admittedly it is more rare than normal tilt, but I find it more devistating because it makes me more likely to MEGA TILT after coming back down.

Any thoughts?

-Diplomat
Old 07-20-2003, 11:58 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: Reverse Tilt

i dont think it's that rare. i see it all the time. a player will get hot, get a big stack, and then loosen up quite a bit.

b
Old 07-20-2003, 06:07 PM

PUrely by chance, I recently submitted a column titled, "Playing the rush, Part I. Offense." It deals with exactly what happened to you. It will appear in the August or September in Cardplayer. You thought you were invulnerable because you had been running so well.
Cards are random. If you play trash because "you're hot," you're asking for trouble.
Regards,
Al
Old 07-21-2003, 11:01 AM

When I read reverse tilt I thought you meant somethng the opposite of playing on tilt, playing 'in the zone.'

Sometimes I've felt like I was in the zone, playing shorthanded, being able to completely manipulate my opponents, or was I just getting hit by the deck.
Is there such a thing as playing in the zone?
Can your skills temporarily improve after a rush?
If you supposedly play your A game all the time, how can it get better?
Old 07-21-2003, 11:38 AM

<i>when I read reverse tilt I thought you meant somethng the opposite of playing on tilt, playing 'in the zone.'

Sometimes I've felt like I was in the zone, playing shorthanded, being able to completely manipulate my opponents, or was I just getting hit by the deck.
Is there such a thing as playing in the zone?
Can your skills temporarily improve after a rush?
If you supposedly play your A game all the time, how can it get better? </i>

I have done and occasionally do both of these.

The fact when you've been running well and seem to have undue influence over your opponents is often due to how much they're paying attention to you since you've been taking their money the last few hands. Remember this, and it can make you more money, especially if they don't discover you're sending them false signals.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:57 AM

Yes, there is such a thing as "playing in the zone." Many of us have periods -- usually brief -- in which we are more alert and perceptive.
Your skills can improve after a rush because you are playing more hands and are more aware of other people. Conversely, after a period of blah cards, you probably tune out some useful information.
NOBODY plays his A game all the time. People may claim to do so, but they are kidding themselves. ALL human "behavior" varies, even your heart rate and blood pressure. You can see performance variations most easily in sports. Tiger Woods has missed some short putts. Michael Jordan has missed slam dunks. Sammy Sosa recently went into a slump. If great athletes can't always play their A game (or anything even resembling it), it is silly to think that you or I can always play it.
Regards,
Al
Old 07-23-2003, 09:32 AM

Al,

Shouldn't we allow Michael Jordan a certain number of missed dunks while he is playing his A game?

-Mike
Old 07-23-2003, 03:19 PM

Hey, I never missed a slam dunk. Or course, I never made one either because I couldn't jump that high.
Regards,
Al
Old 07-23-2003, 06:13 PM

I'm sure Michael himself would admit he wasn't playing his A game if he missed a dunk.
Old 07-26-2003, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, there is such a thing as "playing in the zone." Many of us have periods -- usually brief -- in which we are more alert and perceptive.
Your skills can improve after a rush because you are playing more hands and are more aware of other people. Conversely, after a period of blah cards, you probably tune out some useful information.
NOBODY plays his A game all the time. People may claim to do so, but they are kidding themselves. ALL human "behavior" varies, even your heart rate and blood pressure. You can see performance variations most easily in sports. Tiger Woods has missed some short putts. Michael Jordan has missed slam dunks. Sammy Sosa recently went into a slump. If great athletes can't always play their A game (or anything even resembling it), it is silly to think that you or I can always play it.
Regards,
Al

[/ QUOTE ]
lets not put sosa on the same level as jordan and woods, ok?
and are you sure jordan has missed a dunk?
[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]