Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 07:44 PM

Default The spread of Christianity

Whethter you belive or not, it has to be at least curious how quickly Christianity spread. In a time of Roman emperors, and Egyptian kings why did people decide to follow a supposed blasphemer? A common crminal? Surely Ceasar was better known why not worship him? 11 of the 12 apostles were executed for their faith, and the 12th was exiled. They along with many others were given a choice- denounce Jesus and be spared, or continue to spread the word and die. Why did so many choose to spread the word?

BTW I think we've all heard the David Koresh analogy, and I really don't think it holds much weight.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:18 PM

Default Re: The spread of Christianity

Please cite your references to this historical claim -- that 11 of 12 people were killed for their faith in this fellow named "Jesus".
Old 10-24-2005, 11:28 PM

Never underestimate the human species' capacity to latch on to stupid ideas. History is rife with examples.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Never underestimate the human species' capacity to latch on to stupid ideas. History is rife with examples.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is following Jesus a "stupid idea?" Not commenting on the Son of God aspect, but just the teachings. Most seem like decent ideas. Can you give me examples of the stupid ideas Jesus taught...again, not counting Son of God references.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is following Jesus a "stupid idea?" Not commenting on the Son of God aspect, but just the teachings. Most seem like decent ideas. Can you give me examples of the stupid ideas Jesus taught...again, not counting Son of God references.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you give me David Koresh's stupid ideas ... not counting his claim to be the next messiah, though?
Old 10-25-2005, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you give me David Koresh's stupid ideas ... not counting his claim to be the next messiah, though?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I am not mistaken he had extremely young brides/lovers. I think that qualifies as a stupid idea. As far as I know, Jesus didn't bed 12 year olds.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:21 AM

You raise a good point. It's about time a theistic point on this forum was based on a reality which might give a non-believer the chance for pause and reflection.

The truth is, I'm not sure and find this to be a compelling enough reason to wonder why and learn more about Jesus.

There have been many people who have possessed incredibly persuasive powers. You say not to mention David Koresh, but how can you not? Along with Charles Manson and others? I'd like to say he was just a very charismatic and persuasive individual, but I'll acknowledge there may be more to it than that. There can be no doubt that his following is much more impressive and long lasting.

Excuse my ignorance on this, but isn't Muhammad's following on par with Jesus'? Did Muhannad recognize Jesus? If someone could provide these answers, I'd really appreciate it.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:34 AM

The muslims believe that Jesus was a great prophet for Allah.
According to my Muslim friends.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but isn't Muhammad's following on par with Jesus'?

[/ QUOTE ]

Muslims believe that Jesus was a prophet but not the Messiah.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:07 AM

I thought Muhammad was a prophet.

Nevertheless, it is interesting that Jesus surfaces among many religions. Proof that he was certainly listened to and taken seriously by many. The questin is, why? Was he merely persuasive, or was it more than that?