Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 10:01 AM

Default Re: How I Became a Christian (LONG)

[ QUOTE ]

If there is a god he made me in such a way that I cannot believe in him.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's basically the excuse Adam and Eve tried to use. It didn't work then and it won't now.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If there is a god he made me in such a way that I cannot believe in him.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's basically the excuse Adam and Eve tried to use. It didn't work then and it won't now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not making excuses. If you could see inside my mind as I can you would know the truth of which I speak. If there's a god then of course he can see inside my mind and will also know the truth of it.

You, of course, have no access to my mind except what I tell you and your claim to knowledge is false.

chez
Old 10-10-2005, 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If you could see inside my mind

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's a question of what you think is in your mind and what is in God's word, I'll take His word. He didn't make you so that you are unable to believe. You made yourself that way.

I base that on His word, not from reading your mind. If you're right, you have nothing to worry about. But God's word says you're wrong.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If you could see inside my mind

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's a question of what you think is in your mind and what is in God's word, I'll take His word. He didn't make you so that you are unable to believe. You made yourself that way.

I base that on His word, not from reading your mind. If you're right, you have nothing to worry about. But God's word says you're wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

but if you didn't believe words of men (that claim to come from god) then you would be like me and not believe.

Just because you believe they are the words of god does not make it so.

chez
Old 10-10-2005, 10:58 AM

Excellent post, Not Ready.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
we walk by faith, not by sight

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, excellent post, NotReady.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

TY.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Am I the type of person who needs to believe in something bigger than himself to deal with past issues?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes. We all are. God made us that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I know you're wrong. If there is a god he made me in such a way that I cannot believe in him.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

You know what I think is ironic? (And this is not directed specifically at you, chez. But your post made me think of it.) All of us here on the board have inquisitive minds. We love a challenge, too. We want to be challenged. To solve a puzzle is fulfilling. I’ll quote benkahuna on why he posts here. (Btw ben, my reasons are similar to yours. I was just trying to be humorous when I stated why I post. Evidently I failed.)

1. Boredom
2. Keep intellectually active (poker alone just isn't enough).
3. Learn something
4. Dispel my own misconceptions
5. Keep my debate skills on point.

Anyway, so here we are a gang of challenge seekers (a lot safer and warmer than climbing Everest, too – although now that we know it is really 12 feet shorter, maybe I’ll give it a go).

We have no problem with the fact that “nature” and the universe gives us the challenges it does. Why are the “secrets” not revealed by nature? We don't curse nature. Often the quest to just “know” is enough to keep scientists going in their work. “Because it is there” if you will.

Yet, when we speak of God not revealing these same answers or indeed Himself, we call him (or for the atheists, the non existent thing we believers call God) more or less a Son of B. (Often this type of talk is even used to show the futility of believing in a God.) That is what I find ironic. Wonder why that is?
Old 10-10-2005, 12:54 PM

Jeff, come further.
Power vs. Force

Peace on your path.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
we walk by faith, not by sight

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When reading the forums, I usually just dismiss empty quotes such as this without giving them much thought, and just read the posts containing substance. They pull an obscure quote from someone's post and mock it without ever addressing what the person actually said. I always just figured it is someone trying to be funny with a witty one-liner remark. However, the consistency of such remarks make me wonder if people are afraid to reply due to inadequate answers, or they really aren't comprehending what they're reading.