Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2005, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Ethics, what do I do here (Semi-Poker Related) HELP

If you are really tight with this guy show him this thread.

If it was a good friend of mine I'd call him a friggin' loser and tell him to get a job. Collection agencies don't do anything except harrass you over the phone endlessly. he should have to listen to that for being such a turd. If this is actually a loneshark he owes money to and he was in real trouble I'd gladly give him $300 bucks insisting it was a gift but not for this kind of crap. I would also tell him that that would be the last time I'd be bailing him out for anything except potentially kidney failure. He needs to be called out for being irresponsible by someone he respects, you!
Old 05-10-2005, 02:37 PM

If he's a REALLY good friend and $300 to you isn't a huge sum of money (aka you can give him to it and not miss it that much if at all) then go ahead and "loan" it to him, but do it under hte condition that you are going to be asking him about it alot and if he's really your friend he'll be grateful and won't mind you bugging him about the loan.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:01 PM

I'd probably loan him the money without much expectation of seeing it again. I wouldn't make him a gift of it, but I wouldn't bug him a lot about it. I'd mention it casually a now and again. When he says he doesn't have it I'd shrug and move on. Eventually I'd stop asking, I wouldn't feel resentful about it, and I'd never loan him money again.

On the other hand you do say he's your best friend. The list of things that I would not do for my best friend is pretty damn small.

--Zetack
Old 05-10-2005, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a feeling that over the summer he would keep procrasinating paying me and it would snowball into a big issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right there is where I say, "Don't do it." Be a little less honost and say you really cant afford it your self. If his parents refuse, and hes really going to be in deap [censored], help him out if hes that good of a friend, but I'm not one to lend money to someone if I expect it to cause a problem, unless I'm the very last resort.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
really does depend on the type of person you are and the type of company you keep.

personally i can trust 95% of my friends with money if they ever need it because i know what type of person they are..

I don't think i would ever lend someone money if i thought they were never going to pay me back.

they need to learn to pay their own way.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the kind of situation, I believe, where you don't know what kind of person they are until you're really in the situation for real.

Kind of like a divorce. Nobody thinks when they're getting married that a break-up could possibly be bitter, petty, hateful, vengeful, or have two seemingly reasonable people both trying to convince their children that the other parent doesn't love them, or screw them up for life by trying to convince them that the other parent maybe even sexually abused them. Who would ever get married to a person they thought capable of any of that? Who would ever think it possible of themselves? Not a chance in hell. No way.

You'd have to be out of your mind to think such a thing possible -- and, most importantly, ESPECIALLY with you, and with the people YOU love. You know, the exceptions that stand out from everybody else in the world and are somehow different.

Yet...things like that happen all the time. There's nothing remotely exceptional about most of it. You might even say it's surprising when people don't get mean, petty, and vengeful toward each other in divorces.

According to your logic, how could that be? But it is.

Don't think a friend could never screw you over on borrowed money until you've loaned him money a few times. A loan is a loss until proven different.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:34 AM

I knew I could count on you, Blarg!
Old 05-11-2005, 04:53 AM

ok if you really really care for this guy and you know he would do the exact same for you in this situation then YES! Money comes second. If he's gonna be a scrub and you think he'll procrastinate like you said then NO don't let him take advantage of you. Real friends will respect your decision both ways as long as it's the truth that you're telling them.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:11 AM

Wtf, you're the Punisher. Bust his kneecaps for begging and then take his sneakers, that ought to teach him.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:37 PM

Location: Condemned to a lifetime in the kiddie pool, where I will never make moves.

[ QUOTE ]
Hi everyone, I came here for advice on this subject because I like the way people think on this site. Earlier today I got a call from my best friend back home, I'm away in college, he goes to a community college and is dropping out, anyway turns out he got a credit card recently and he bought some sneakers and alot of food and overdrew to the sum of $300. His family isnt wealthy and he dosnt have a job right now. Naturally he calls me first and tells me he needs a big favor and asks how I've been doing lately at poker. I tell him I've been doing alright and he proceeds to ask for the $300 and tells me he will pay me back this summer. I hate getting into money with friends because it ruins friendships.. however this is one of my best friends. I have a feeling that over the summer he would keep procrasinating paying me and it would snowball into a big issue. I'm completely lost on what to do here. He says he has no way of paying it except his parents whom he dosent want to ask. He says if he dosent pay it off then "collections" will come to him and thats "bad". Anyway, what the hell should I do here? I'm completely undecided and lost.

[/ QUOTE ]
Make him destroy his credit cards, and tell him to get/look for a job. After he does this, you will consider lending him the money.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:45 PM

What I would do is actually if its a good friend and I didnt want to deal with the chance of not getting paid back I would more than likely just give hiom the money and if he has morals he would pay you back anyway. Good luck