Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2005, 11:55 PM

Default Do I cap this suited ace preflop?

I used to always limp with suited aces (A9 and below) but I am trying to get more aggressive. My like my first raise, but should I have capped? I think I should have. I so, please explain. Thanks.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, CO calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (14.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (11.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, CO folds.

River: (13.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 15.25 BB
Old 11-27-2005, 11:57 PM

Default Re: Do I cap this suited ace preflop?

Why do you like your first raise? Just curious.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:58 PM

I always raise suited aces on the button, actually anything on the button if you're coming in you should be raising. I think I'd check the turn and take the free river, but betting is not a bad option either.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:02 AM

unless you got some reads on UTG+1 I wouldn't think of capping. A8s is a nice hand but it doesn't look near as good to me after a limp reraise. The rest looks pretty standard. I might even take the free card on the turn.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
unless you got some reads on UTG+1 I wouldn't think of capping. A8s is a nice hand but it doesn't look near as good to me after a limp reraise. The rest looks pretty standard. I might even take the free card on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, I had a good read on UTG + 1. Very loose and loved to get tricky (78/13/.56). Often bluffed raised - wasn't really treatened by their limp-reraise.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I always raise suited aces on the button, actually anything on the button if you're coming in you should be raising.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah if you're coming in, but there are already three limpers. Is this a good raise??
Old 11-28-2005, 12:15 AM

If you've got a read on UTG+1, fine. I'd still just call the 3-bet. With two other callers, you're probably behind another ace and your best hope is to complete the nut flush.

Any other person does that UTG, I'm putting him on AA or KK, who is now looking to build a pot, drive people out, and take it down without a scary flop.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:19 AM

Misreply? I'm talking about his first raise.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:29 AM

I don't really like the first raise, nevermind capping. Aggressive play has it's merits, of course, but I have to believe that in the long run, raising with A8s is a losing proposition. Of course you hit your flush and got paid off, but how do you play when an Ace hits the flop and the pre-flop betting is capped? Suppose there's a bet ahead of you. With the huge pot you can't get away but the 8 is not exactly a strong kicker...
Old 11-28-2005, 12:32 AM

Why did you bet the turn?