Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-28-2005, 06:31 PM

Default quick question from a 6-max noob. . .

Okay, I'm pretty new at this 6max stuff, so I was wondering if you guys could help me with something. I think I'm betting my UI overcards too much. I would say that somewhere in the neighborhood of 75% of the time, when I miss the flop with overcards HU, I'm taking stabs on both the flop and the turn. About 25% of the time, I'll 3-bet the flop with them if I get raised. Would you say this is too much? I'm in the middle of a downswing, and I'm trying to spot some leaks. Do you guys feel I should depend on reads more? Or do you think I should pay closer attention to the board? Or is 75% about right?

I'll try to dig up some hands, but it seems like they would be pretty boring (Hero bets, hero bets, hero check/calls or check/folds).

Happy holidays.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:41 PM

Default Re: quick question from a 6-max noob. . .

[ QUOTE ]
I'll try to dig up some hands, but it seems like they would be pretty boring (Hero bets, hero bets, hero check/calls or check/folds).

[/ QUOTE ]

If you post reads, they could be pretty interesting. I don't think anyone here is going to be able to tell you how much in percentage terms you should bet UI overs though.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:49 PM

Hi Briddle-

This is a better question if you include an example hand. Against typical opponents (meaning basic 40/10s where I don't have too many hands on them and no notes) I bet UI overs every time in position against two opponents or fewer on the flop and usually continuation bet the turn. I make an exception if it's something truly frightening like 987 monotone, though.

Ask yourself: What are you doing when you 3-bet the flop with your big UI overs like AQo? Are you trying to force your opponent to fold out a low or middle pair or pocket, or are you trying to get rid of hands you already beat, like KJo? Make sure you have a reason, instead of "the more money I put in the pot, the better chance I have of winning."

Basically, I don't have a problem with autobetting, but you're leaving money on the table if you don't quickly determine who overplays ace high hands, who's a good enough (or bad enough) player to fold bottom pair, etc. You might try setting up a few stats on PokerAce HUD to help you as well ... I find the fold to continuation bet stat and the WTSD state particularly useful in deciding when to CB after a missed flop.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:57 PM

Firing on the flop and turn UI is pretty standard heads up with just overs but 3 betting a raise is usually spewing. Most guys who raise a bet at 6 Max will have something that they are happy to show down and that is usually a pair. On your better days you might find a raise coming in from another player sitting on overs and your AK beats his AQ. By all means call him down if you think this is the case but 3 betting when you are likely behind can get expensive. Even if all your overs are clean and you have position, you will very often have a guy leading the turn after your 3 bet ruining any attempt at a cheap show-down.

Against a lot of players you can play overs for the weak draw that they are and this often means folding to a single flop bet or on the turn UI. Reads and the board cards come into it a great deal though and you will often be correct to call down with ace high but only experience will tell you when it is right to do so and when you can give it up gracefully.

Playing the river OOP when you have led the flop and turn and have gotten called on both is one the tougher decisions in SH limit. Your check on the end looks weak to your opponent and he/she can value bet any pair confidently. As this is the case they will also sometimes bet with their nothing hoping you will fold. Again reads and the board play an important role in whether to call or not. Generally on a board of.

7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I will check/fold. There are just too many ways for my opponent to have a strong made hand or at least a pair. Even without the flush maker on the end I will lean towards a check/fold unless my opponent always bets when checked to and sometimes even then. On a board of

4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I tend to check/call as there are less ways that my opponent could have made a hand and he/she will, often enough to be profitable, have a hand like QJ or 89 or a weaker ace that I beat. Hope this helps a little.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:14 PM

Great post Happydaz

Also, if you're 3betting with UI overs, I'm guessing you are out of position and thus continuing to lead bet on any non-scary turn. This seems like it can be very costly if you are doing it every chance. It seems like you have a problem with giving up a pot when you are pretty clearly beaten, and this is indeed a major leak you should look into.