Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 12-27-2005, 07:59 PM

Default When did James Dungy become John Lennon?

Seriously, wtf.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:31 PM

Default Re: When did James Dungy become John Lennon?

I know. It's really pissing me off. The dude took his own life. Now I don't know what kind of issues he had so it's certainly wrong to say that he deserved to die. However, this is by no means a "tragedy".

A tragedy is when someone is going to help the poor but then gets run over by a car and dies. Someone taking their own life is not a tragedy.

Furthermore, people die all the time. It's ridiculous that this guy is getting so much media time just because he's a famous coach's son.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:06 PM

You're way off base here.

It's a really sad thing for somebody to have to bury their son, sadder when it's a suicide.

I think I get istewart's point, but to suggest that this isn't a "tragedy" is just pathetic.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're way off base here.

It's a really sad thing for somebody to have to bury their son, sadder when it's a suicide.

I think I get istewart's point, but to suggest that this isn't a "tragedy" is just pathetic.

[/ QUOTE ]
exactly.

what i am getting out of this is that everyone is feeling for tony dungy in a time of turmoil for him. this must be a whirlwind of emotions for him right now with everything that is going on in his professional life colliding with his personal life.

no matter how your son dies it will crush you in pieces that you simply cannot fathom and then to have to deal with in the public eye i would have to imagine makes it tougher.

the kid himself should be used as an example that nothing is ever worth ending your life for and he is certainly not john lennon but to get pissed when people are pouring their hearts out for the dungy family is [censored] childish.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know. It's really pissing me off. The dude took his own life. Now I don't know what kind of issues he had so it's certainly wrong to say that he deserved to die. However, this is by no means a "tragedy".

A tragedy is when someone is going to help the poor but then gets run over by a car and dies. Someone taking their own life is not a tragedy.

Furthermore, people die all the time. It's ridiculous that this guy is getting so much media time just because he's a famous coach's son.

[/ QUOTE ]

He isn't just a famous coach. According to many of his colleagues, he's the most well-liked and respected in the league. And no, the fact that it was a suicide does not mean it was not a tragedy, simply because it doesn't fit a literal and narrow definition. This event has touched more people than you may realize, even if you're not among them.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:35 PM

Was it ever settled as to whether the James Dungy Myspace was really his? From what I've read, it appears that it was. I feel sympathy for the Dungy family, but I also can't help but feel that ths kid was a nasty piece of work.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, that's pretty much the definition of tragedy. Guy has issues, leads to his downfall. Didn't you ever take ENG 101?
Old 12-28-2005, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, wtf.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I can see how this would be a major disruption of your daily life. I'm sure the world will return to normal in a few months, and you can return to the important things you do, at least until the 1 year commemorative services.

(In case you haven't figured it out, this whole thing has nothing to do with JAMES Dungy.)
Old 12-28-2005, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

the kid himself should be used as an example that nothing is ever worth ending your life for and he is certainly not john lennon but to get pissed when people are pouring their hearts out for the dungy family is [censored] childish.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's istewart, what do you expect?
Old 12-28-2005, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Was it ever settled as to whether the James Dungy Myspace was really his?

[/ QUOTE ]
FWIW, the Indy Star has referenced it as legit.

As to the OP, you should really think about getting a life that extends beyond sportscenter.