Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-31-2005, 06:04 AM

Default Re: Official Indie Starter Kit Thread (Calling all hipsters... sorry e

[ QUOTE ]
So you guys really think Neutral Milk Hotel are going to get someone into indie rock, huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

CMI can correct me if I'm wrong but I think a major factor in adding them. Is that I had asked him for some NMH stuff in the "recomend me ANY music" thread when he talked of his 15+ concert collection of theirs.

They seem to be highly recomended by CMI, and Madtown. Which is what got me interested in hearing some of that concert stuff. So since it got this thread started I would expect nothing less.

To better clarify this whole thing. I will make a long story less-long.
I used to work in a record store and was very informed in many different genre's/sounds.
For several reasons (one of which being I've been in the theater buisness for the past 5 years, another being a relationship with someone who didn't understand why someone would continue to expand a music collection that she thought was already too big) I lost my connection to music in general, and my desire to try many different "tastes".
So one night a while ago I looked at my collection and realized there wasn't a damn thing I really wanted to listen to, and it's not a small collection, nothing spoke to me, if that makes sense.
The radio plays (mostly) overproduced junk.
So I got into a few different bands (the ones listed in my previous post in this thread and a few more) based on recomendations of freinds more up to date (including finnally picking up the "Garden State soundtrack") and have started to enjoy music again.
I want to keep this going, and some posters here listed some things I have liked along with much I had not heard. Thus my request for an "Indie Starter Kit".
I also think it will be good (as I think I said before) to have some place I can link people to when asked where to start if they're looking for Indie.

[Disclaimer] I understand that music is subjective. I used to play music (but it was not my talent). I listen to a lot of different things, and will continue to. I'm not looking for Gospel on the matter. Just some sugestions for someone who's been out of the loop. I don't care about how many people know the bands name, or what label they're on, it's not about becoming a music snob or anything else to me. I'm not looking to pick a fight, just wanted some opinions since I've really been enjoying the "indie" genre recently [/Disclaimer]
Old 12-31-2005, 06:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Given this criteria name me 3 or 4 albums I might like and give me a few words on why. If it's possible.

I like well done guitar solos....

Help me if you can.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two Words:
Dream Theater

I don't know if you just didn't mention them because their not as well known or because you've never listened to them. The vocals are a bit operatic (don't know if that knocks it out as a "female vocale") but the guitar solo's will melt your face off. As far as purely technical musical skill goes I think each of these guys is in the top .05% of musicians for their particular istrument. If you don't like the vocals the guitarist and some other great musicians (including others from DT) have done side projects such as "Liquid Tension Expiriment" and "Explorers Club" which are also both fantastic and have very little vocals at all.
Dream Theater is simply the top of progressive rock IMHO, esspescially along the lines of heavier progressive rock. My sugestion (which others may agree or not) is Metropollis 2: Scenes From A Memory, a few of your favorite drinks, and just sit and enjoy the whole album with no interuption.
Images And Words, and A Change Of Seasons are also great but Metropollis is a full story in an album.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:04 AM

Excellent suggestion but I'm already a casual DT fan. I do really need to get more of their albums though. I've got both Liquid Tension Experiment CDs. I'll see if I can find Explorers Club. The vocals are no problem at all. I don't really know why I can't handle most female vocalists when two of my favs are Geddy Lee and Jon Anderson. Must be some weird mental thing.

I didn't think DT would really be considered Indie though.

jack: heh, I figured it would be pretty hard to think of anything. What's usually described as indie certainly isn't my style, but I was wondering if I was missing out on something I might enjoy.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:57 AM

Default Re: Official Indie Starter Kit Thread (Calling all hipsters... sorry euro)

edited [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 12-31-2005, 11:03 AM

Euro, this time it just felt like you were trying too hard.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Euro, this time it just felt like you were trying too hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

very ouch, Sam. what can I say, though? I rly just typed what was on my mind.

I had my reservations about making it so long-winded, figuring it would draw exactly the kind of comment you made. i guess it's time to hang up the cleats.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:22 AM

Oh well, you had a very good run.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:29 AM

Default Re: Official Indie Starter Kit Thread (Calling all hipsters... sorry euro)

[ QUOTE ]
edited [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just about to chime in, saying this is perhaps my favourite post of all time.... and you delete it????????

Sam is WAY OFF... that is genius
Old 12-31-2005, 12:05 PM

Yeah I don't think it warranted deletion, definitely worth getting more opinions.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Either/Or is more accessible? wha?

[/ QUOTE ]
I can AIM any of his cds to whoever wants them. PM me