Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 12-30-2005, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Larry Brown: Legend or Luckbox?

If I owned a crappy NBA team, I would throw big money at Brown for 3 years to turn my team in to a playoff team, then throw bigger money at Phil Jackson to take us to the title.
Foolproof plan to take an expansion team to the NBA title in 6 years, no? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2005, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My theory as to why they are better this year. This team has played together for three years now, everyone is use to each other, and has matured greatly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this the same with the Spurs? IIRC, the Pistons handled them pretty easily last week...something they couldn't do last year. Obviously, it's one game, but I'm sure you see where I'm going...

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you not watch the Finals at all?

The Pistons got blown out of the water in the first 2 games in SA. Granted, they were coming off a grueling 7-game series with the Heat, while the Spurs polished off a Joe Johnson-less Suns team in 5 games. Either they weren't used to the Spurs, or they were tired, they sucked ass the first 2 games.

If you take a look at the last 5 games of the series, if it wasn't for Sheed trapping Ginobili in the corner and leaving Robert Horry wide open for the three in OT of Game 5, the Pistons would have won 4 of the last 5. Coulda shoulda woulda... I'm not complaining; the Spurs played brilliantly and deserved the title. I'm just saying the Pistons played nobly last year as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

And my point was that the Pistons seem that much better this year. I'm trying to get at as to why.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm still not clear why a team that is predominantly comprised of very young and unproved players sought out a coach who established a record of being reluctant to play young and unproven players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because their GM is a [censored].
Old 12-30-2005, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And my point was that the Pistons seem that much better this year. I'm trying to get at as to why.

[/ QUOTE ] I think my reasoning is a good explanation as to why. That doesn't necessarily mean that Flip is better than Brown. Actually, it makes Brown look that much better. Remember, really all that Flip is doing is just not getting in the way, and letting them play. Which is something Brown would never do.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My theory as to why they are better this year. This team has played together for three years now, everyone is use to each other, and has matured greatly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this the same with the Spurs? IIRC, the Pistons handled them pretty easily last week...something they couldn't do last year. Obviously, it's one game, but I'm sure you see where I'm going...

[/ QUOTE ]IMO, the Spurs team from last year was better than this years.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you not watch the Finals at all?

The Pistons got blown out of the water in the first 2 games in SA. Granted, they were coming off a grueling 7-game series with the Heat, while the Spurs polished off a Joe Johnson-less Suns team in 5 games. Either they weren't used to the Spurs, or they were tired, they sucked ass the first 2 games.

If you take a look at the last 5 games of the series, if it wasn't for Sheed trapping Ginobili in the corner and leaving Robert Horry wide open for the three in OT of Game 5, the Pistons would have won 4 of the last 5. Coulda shoulda woulda... I'm not complaining; the Spurs played brilliantly and deserved the title. I'm just saying the Pistons played nobly last year as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're basing it off of regular season records, you may be misled. Last year's Pistons team had that ugly brawl and the suspensions that killed its first half of the season. In addition, Larry Brown was in and out of surgery for a few games as well.

Most importantly, they suffered from "post-title complacency". This is coming from an NBA League Pass Pistons fan who watched probably 80+ of their 82 regular season games last year. They just didn't care, and figured they could turn it on in the playoffs again. They almost did, but the Game 7 loss is ingrained in their minds. This year, nearly every Piston has been quoted saying that they feel they would have won if they had played Game 7 of the Finals at the Palace. This year, they're not taking any games off, and are intent on securing that crucial home court advantage.