Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-29-2005, 12:33 PM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)
Default Re: Playing A-high at the Best Table Ever

[ QUOTE ]
could somebody, please, explain to me the point of the turn bet?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

i sort of thought it was so the maniac would raise and blow out the field. i could be wrong, though.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Because AJ is ahead of most of UTG's hands, and he will probably raise a donk bet with whatever trash he has, most of them not as good as AJ. If he raises, the player at 2/4 probably won't understand what's going on, and they will fold a better hand.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:48 PM

I'm lost on this hand after the flop.

I guess I understand the turn bet, but I don't know about the river call.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Because AJ is ahead of most of UTG's hands, and he will probably raise a donk bet with whatever trash he has, most of them not as good as AJ. If he raises, the player at 2/4 probably won't understand what's going on, and they will fold a better hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

does it have anything to do with the paired board? Would you have donked the turn if it was a blank?
Old 12-29-2005, 02:50 PM

Seems like it's the wrong opponent to try this type of play against, especially with a weak hand like AJo. You can't expect him to play worse hands than AJo like that everytime... Choose a better hand and go after him, AJ is a meh.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice turn play. I assume if he doesn't raise and you get overcalled, you check and fold a bet from the other guys and check and don't overcall a bet from him?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm lost on this hand after the flop.

I guess I understand the turn bet, but I don't know about the river call.

[/ QUOTE ]

This hand is ENTIRELY read-based.

The idea is this: The maniac could basically have any two cards. With a bunch of low cards and a paired board, it is much more likely than usual that no one has a pair in his hand yet. So the idea is that my AJ has a lot of showdown value at this point, and I kind of want to show it down in what is a pretty big pot.

One way to accomplish this would be to just go into calldown mode. But that has the bad effect of letting the other players see the river for one bet. If they have weak pairs, hands like KQ, or maybe even better As, I want them to fold. They probably don't realize how crazy the maniac is.

So I bet the turn in the hopes that the maniac will raise and blow away the field. Then I get the hand heads-up with the maniac, and, based on reads, that situation is very favorable.

The turn is a better place to do this than the flop because tons of turn cards hurt my hands (so I want to see a safe turn card) and it will be much easier to protect my hand/push my edge when the big bets come.

I call the river because that's the entire point. The maniac will raise the turn with tons of hands that are worse than mine. I am NOT in a bet/fold unimproved situation. My hand is going to be good pretty often regardless of what the maniac does. I'm HOPING he raises the turn, in fact.

Results: Maniac showed K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and MHIG!
Old 12-29-2005, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Results: Maniac showed K J and MHIG!

[/ QUOTE ]

nice hand, i wonder if hes more likely to bet this or to call a bet with this, i have no idea

of course hes probably likely to have like 6 high or something too which he most likely will not call a bet with
Old 12-29-2005, 03:25 PM

I think this is results-based thinking and you should have known to fold the flop since you were most likely drawing very thin against 83o.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:31 PM

First of all, thanks for the great reply. I was hoping you would answer it, and you did.

[ QUOTE ]
Results: Maniac showed K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and MHIG!

[/ QUOTE ]

Un-[censored]-able! That's great.

I guess this isn't really a bluff, but rather calling a bluff, right? It seems the few times this has happened to me, Villian ended up pairing at least, and sometimes actually had a hand at the end. Maybe I'm being too results-oriented for the few times I've been burned.