Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2004, 11:12 PM

Default Flop the nut straight..

So I flop the nuts. The turn then pairs the board. Only one guy in the pot, and he's raising the roof. Who plays it differently? The only read I have is that MP is very loose, and the game just dropped from 10 down to 5 players in a matter of 3 or 4 hands.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (5 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP 3-bets</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (11.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 15.75 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 15.75 BB, between Hero and MP.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by MP (15.75 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Qc Js (straight, ace high).
MP shows Ah Ac (full house, aces full of tens).
Outcome: MP wins 15.75 BB. </font>

Maybe it wasn't smart, but I bet out both the turn and the river, despite scary cards. I know I could be facing a full house on the turn, and a flush on the river... Where did I go wrong?
Old 06-22-2004, 11:15 PM

Default Re: Flop the nut straight..

I think I bet the turn too most of the time and check/call the river.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:16 PM

I'd fold QJo UTG, its certainly not a UTG raising hand and you found that out when AA isolated you.

I think I would re-raise the turn before I give him credit for the boat. Calling on the turn and leading the river doesn't make much sense. Either re-raise the turn or call down.

You can't get away from a straight heads up, running into a boat is very rarely going to happen.

EDIT: didn't notice the game was 5 handed, raising UTG is ok in that case.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I bet the turn too most of the time and check/call the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you 3-bet the turn after the raise or just call? I felt like I was being too weak, but I did end up losing, so being weak might have saved me a couple of bets.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:21 PM

Fold preflop, don't bet.

Nice flop though, your play here is fine. I think given the action you have to think that he's got a set or two pair here.

ACK!!! the board paired, so at best he's got AK at worst you're dead. I think you can lead the turn, but once he re-raises you then you can call it down.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd fold QJo UTG, its certainly not a UTG raising hand and you found that out when AA isolated you.

[/ QUOTE ]

You fold QJo UTG in a 5 handed game?

[ QUOTE ]
I think I would re-raise the turn before I give him credit for the boat. Calling on the turn and leading the river doesn't make much sense. Either re-raise the turn or call down.

[/ QUOTE ]

When the flush card hit on the river, I thought there was some chance I win the pot there with a bet. When he raised, I thought he had the flush.

[ QUOTE ]
You can't get away from a straight heads up, running into a boat is very rarely going to happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

And that might be the lesson to take home from this hand.. I'll add the guy to my buddy list, and try to get my $7 back..
Old 06-22-2004, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop, don't bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that the concensus here? Fold QJo UTG 5-handed?

[ QUOTE ]
ACK!!! the board paired, so at best he's got AK at worst you're dead. I think you can lead the turn, but once he re-raises you then you can call it down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that is what I should have done. I thought about it, but the guy was in like 75% of the hands before this, and I figured he was a maniac playing any ace and raising TP, maybe two pair.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When the flush card hit on the river, I thought there was some chance I win the pot there with a bet. When he raised, I thought he had the flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't make sense because any hand that would fold for fear of a flush you can already beat. A river bet here gets raised by almost any hand that beats you. There is no way on earth that a hand you can beat will fold so why are you betting now rather than re-raising the turn?

As for the fold advice I edited my response because I didn't notice it was 5 handed.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This doesn't make sense because any hand that would fold for fear of a flush you can already beat. A river bet here gets raised by almost any hand that beats you. There is no way on earth that a hand you can beat will fold so why are you betting now rather than re-raising the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right.. it doesn't make sense. I should have either decided I probably had the better hand and 3-bet the turn, or decided I was probably behind and check-called the river..
Old 06-23-2004, 12:02 AM

Sorry I didnt read all the replies, but I'd muck QJo UTG and most other positions too.

Ponks