1. A23
2. A23
3. A2K
4. A2K
5. A2K
6. A2K
7. AA9
8. AAA

That's the order I'd go with. For today, anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

Switch 3 & 4.

3) A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
4) A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Otherwise my list would be the same.
Old 06-26-2005, 07:55 PM

Default Re: Worst 3rd card in Pineapple

Perhaps in a really rare circumstance where theres a couple of limpers and small bets, and the flop is 679 two spades. You could opt to push in with a open ended flush draw with a horrible low, or draw to two nuts. 58 and 810 aren't too common so your straight draw SHOULD be alive... I'd personally rather draw to two nuts of course unless im sure he has like 99 77 66 and I can scoop.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:04 AM

I wonder whether the number of players makes a difference. It seems like an A8 low would be more powerful heads up or shorthanded.

Still its probably best to have the 9.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:43 AM

Default Re: Another starting hand question

Aren't you overvaluing A23? In this game A23 is a good hand, of course, but not that good. It isn't like Stud 8/b or Omaha 8/b where A23 (or A23x) has a great chance at scooping a big pot.

For example, if you have A23 and the flop comes A86, you probably will discard the ace, so you won't get the high half. If the flop comes AQ7, it may be a tough decision what to discard but whatever your choice it is unlikely you will make both the best high and the best low.

For that reason I would argue that any AA is a better starting hand than A23. With AA9 you have an excellent shot at the high half (and will sometimes get the low also), but with A23 you often won't win either half.

Also I think AK2 is a better starting hand than A23.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:17 AM

Default Re: Another starting hand question

[ QUOTE ]
Remember, you are talking to a man who currently has a strategy of playing his top 93% of hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, I really don't see how it's possible to be dealt a bad hand. You get three cards!!
Old 06-27-2005, 09:28 AM

I'd rather have the 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. The 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] lessens your chance to make a flush and lessens your chance to make a low. If you flop top two with the 9d, low hasn't been made. I don't think the 8 adds much in the "emergency low" department. And lastly, a 9 is bigger than an 8, and big cards beat little cards in high forms of poker.

Maybe Buzz will wander over from the O8 forum and give us the definitive answer.