Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 04:18 PM

Default Putting myself in a tough spot

Bay 101 40-80 from a couple weeks ago. My first hand I posted in the CO, fastplayed a draw and had a bluff picked off on the river by an underfull when the board double-paired. UTG+1 in this hand is new to me and this is all he's seen from me. There's also been a lot of talk about me stealing people's blinds although I haven't yet. Since I don't know UTG+1 I assume he's probably not that great, in the way that most California 40-80 players aren't great.

Anyway, UTG+1 raises. MP is a donk and does what donks do, calls. I 3-bet with QQ from the SB. Both call.

Flop is K66 rainbow. I bet. UTG+1 raises. Donk folds, I 3-bet. UTG+1 calls. At this point I figured he would've waited until the turn to jack me with either a K or a 6. I'm pretty much showdown-bound.

Turn: 9. I check. UTG+1 bets. I call. Way ahead/way behind, I decide to let him take a stab here if he wants to. No point in check-raising.

River: A. I bet. UTG+1 raises. I fold. I figured if he had a pp he would check behind, but call if I bet. If he has a K he may still bet the river and I'm going to call. The raise caught me off guard, though.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:26 PM

Default Re: Putting myself in a tough spot

You outplayed yourself, keep things simple and just check call on the river. A bet won't get a king to fold, and you might not get value from a smaller pp anyway with the K and A on the board.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:34 PM

I don't really understand the flop 3-bet/check turn line.

I doubt he has a 6, but I think a king is a very real possibility. Now, if he has a lower pair like JJ/TT why scare him on the flop, maybe he gets away from it.

Like you said, "way ahead/way behind", if you are showdown bound, which against some of these guys I can understand, then I like just calling it down from his flop raise.

OR you could bet the turn and fold to a raise pretty safely I think. Just seems to me you should either go into call down mode, or keep your foot on the gas and fold if he pushes back. Tough to know where you're at with your line, I guess you found out at the river, but it would be nice to know sooner.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I 3-bet. UTG+1 calls. At this point I figured he would've waited until the turn to jack me with either a K or a 6. I'm pretty much showdown-bound.

Turn: 9. I check. UTG+1 bets. I call. Way ahead/way behind, I decide to let him take a stab here if he wants to. No point in check-raising.

[/ QUOTE ]

then why are you even 3-betting the flop?

i really dislike your river line. you think JJ or TT is going to call here?
Old 09-30-2005, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you think JJ or TT is going to call here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I think he's going to peel one off in the pot that's getting pretty big for one small bet. I think this is an auto-call for many people in that game.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Results

Apparently my line was nearly perfect. The dude fumbled his cards and showed me an ace after I folded. His other card which I saw as he fumbled them was an offsuit 8. California poker is fun.

I don't know why you guys think he's going to fold to my 3-bet on the flop with a PP. [censored], he didn't even fold A8 to my 3-bet on the flop.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:28 PM

You played this hand very strange postflop from start to finish.
First you threebet the flop and then decide to Check-Call the turn? Why threebet the flop to begin with? There are no draws out there so as you say you are either WA or WB. So this should be a classic call down situation. No need to scare him off lower PP right?
So after this mess you decide to bet out when an ace falls and then fold to the raise...
I donīt know where I read it first but someone here once said "If you play the hand in such a way leading up to the river that you may have planted a seed of doubt in your opponents mind what you might hold,then do not fold the river" or something like that...
I think that applies here, Because of your strange line there is some chance that he tries a move on you...
Just my 2c anyway...
Old 10-01-2005, 10:43 PM

FPS and a half imo. If I'm confident enoguh to 3bet the flop I'm betting the turn. If not I'm checkcalling the river. Your check on the turn here may have cost you the pot, and if it didn't it still sucks.