Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 02:34 PM

Default bold / stupid river call

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Hero ($51.22)
UTG ($15.69)
MP ($28.85)
CO ($65.61)
Button ($8.51)
SB ($50.90)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $3</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $2.50, MP calls $2.50.

Flop: ($8.75) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, MP folds, CO calls $5.

Turn: ($18.75) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

River: ($18.75) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $15</font>, Hero calls $15.

Final Pot: $48.75

I lead with the intention of pushing all in if raised. There are only a few hands I could see him just calling the flop with.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Re: bold / stupid river call

calling a raise pf with J9d OOP??
Old 12-07-2005, 02:40 PM

Fold PF.

Seeing as you called, I am NOT calling this river. Villain raised PF and then took the standard "keep the pot small with one pair" line (which isn't too smart on a drawish board, but still....). He has a Q, probably KQ or AQ.

The only other alternative is to lead the river and hope villain is making this play with an unimproved AK, which I doubt.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:53 PM

As you can see, playing draws OOP is not fun. I think I fold the river.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:57 PM

What hand can villian logically have here?
Old 12-07-2005, 07:08 PM

Villain is literally sending you a memo that he is big suited broadway or big pocket pair, from that pfr it is an obvious preflop fold. I see villain checking a pocket pair or even that set of queens, in the second place rightfully expecting you to do the betting for him. When you don't he does. This is a not so good situation, the thing that sticks in my mind so far from your posts today is how loose you are preflop, you are already properly adjusted to looking at postflop play as more important, but tighting up a bit will save you some headaches.

Cambraceres
Old 12-07-2005, 07:13 PM

I would probably take a similar line on the flop and turn, and on the river you are getting like 2.5-1. I think I comes down to if villian if bluffing with air often or not, but I probably fold.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:51 AM

Default results

That 6x BB raise I find to be more often than not AK, or a big pocket pair, and occasionally AQ, AJ, KQ. I LOVE taking a flop with J9s against AK / Big Pocket Pair and will all day if given the chance. I don't always play J9s to a raise... if stacks are shallow, villian is VERY good, or villian is strangely bad I will not.

There is no way an overpair checks the turn, even if they did just flat call the flop (which is pretty unlikely). Alot of players at this level will just call QQQ on the flop but I find it pretty unlikely they would check behind with this hand. His preflop action, turn action and then big river bet are very inconsistent. He could have maybe QQQ, JJJ (unlikely of course) but there is one hand that is VERY consistent with his play throughout. AdKd. So I called, and that's what he had. I'm glad a diamond didn't come : )
Old 12-08-2005, 09:54 AM

Default Re: results

[ QUOTE ]
I LOVE taking a flop with J9s against AK / Big Pocket Pair and will all day if given the chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok...lets play poker all day and I'll get AA every hand and you get J9s every hand.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:21 AM

Default Re: results

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I LOVE taking a flop with J9s against AK / Big Pocket Pair and will all day if given the chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok...lets play poker all day and I'll get AA every hand and you get J9s every hand.

[/ QUOTE ]