Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2004, 03:20 PM

Default Party Vs. UB

I've been playing primarily $1 - $2 at UB because I like the graphics best and I had gotten an attractive bonus when I signed up.

I don't have all that much playing experience, but my impression of the UB $1 -$2 games is that they are really tough. I rarely see players playing garbage hands or making a lot of bad calls after the flop. They all use deception quite well but only when sensible etc...

At best, there might be one two or poor players at a table for a short period of time. Once they are gone, I feel like I'm playing at a table where everyone's skill level is similar to my own (some better some worse).

I recently signed up at Party because it's easier to use Poker Tracker (just getting started with that) and because there are MANY more low limit games active at any given time for me to choose from.

I don't like the graphics at all, but I may have to put up with it.

The quality of competition I have seem so far is light years below what I had grown accustomed to at UB.

Is my experience the same as everyone else's?
Old 05-29-2004, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Party Vs. UB

The games at Party are much softer than UB. It probally just has to do with the fact that there's so many more people on party. The good to bad player ratio is so much higher.

Once you get Poker Tracker up and running you'll be able to figure out who to stay away from.
Old 05-29-2004, 03:53 PM

UB is tougher. But this will help your game if you can still be profitable there. Plus their reload bonus are big and often. At Empire you can get a sweet rake back deal.

I think 1/2 at UB is probably similar to 3/6 at Party/Empire. Like you I prefer graphics and (sit n gos) at UB.

You also have to be more patient at Empire because of all the River chasers/beats. I don't think preflop raises get much respect till you get to 5/10 at most tables.

If you are beatin the 1/2 @UB try the 2/4 or 3/6 at Empire (w/proper bankroll). I think your win rate will improve.

Hey......be careful out there
Old 05-29-2004, 05:36 PM

Default Paradise

I recently moved up to Paradise 1/2 and it seems pretty
tough. Alot of tight/aggressive play. Alot of time
most of the tables there are around 30% seeing the flop an
post sizes around $11/12.

In general, at night, how many 1/2 tables are active
at Party and what % of people see the flop, avg pot sizes ?
Old 05-31-2004, 11:49 AM

Party games are by all accounts softer than UB. However, I think the UB tables can be quite profitable. I have actually made more at UB $3/6 than at Party $3/6. A lot of this is the result of small sample size. But I think that UB players, while tighter, are not always that good and tend to have weak-tight tendencies that you can take advantage of when you spot them. Also, even if the games are a little tougher it is worth spending some time there, IMO, to get some tougher game experience with the benefit of lower stakes. You will need to beat the tough games eventually if you want to keep moving up so why not get some experience at levels that won't hurt your bankroll that much if you lose. Finally, I find the UB games to be more fun than the Pary games. While I don't want fun to come completely at the expense of profitability, I do want the games, in fact, to be fun. Poker is not my living; it is my hobby. Matching wits with players who have half a clue at UB is stimulating in the way that Party games, even when I am winning, are not. Just my 2 cents.

All the best,

Colgin
Old 05-31-2004, 11:58 AM

UB can get damn tough sometimes, especially comapared to Party. If you can beat UB's tables you can definitely beat Party's tables.
Old 05-31-2004, 12:50 PM

I made the very switch youre talking about just two days ago, and I can testify that partypoker has much easier games to beat than ub. It's not even close. The UB games are definitely beatable, but the PP games are just much easier games.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But I think that UB players, while tighter, are not always that good and tend to have weak-tight tendencies that you can take advantage of when you spot them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is 100% right and is a big advantage of playing at UB. If you take the time to pay attention, there are plenty of bluffing and semi-bluffing opportunities at UB that will rarely, if ever, work at Party.