Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2004, 08:31 PM

Default Ever play at Caesars in Indiana (close to Louisville, KY) ?

They spread some HE games. I've never played live and this
is the closest to me.
Thanks d
Old 01-04-2004, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Ever play at Caesars in Indiana (close to Louisville, KY) ?

Yes, I've played there 3-4 times, most recently about 3 months ago. What's your questions?

Old 01-04-2004, 11:37 PM

Oops....sorry Stew, I was wondering about the general
atmosphere I guess. I had also heard the boat stays
docked now, and it's open 24 hours a day too.
Do you know which limits are offered?
Was there a waiting period to play?
I've never played in a live game and anxious to try it.
If you don't mind me asking, how did it go for you?
It's about a four hour trip for me, because the boats
around Cincinatti does'nt spread any.
Thanks d
Old 01-05-2004, 10:48 AM

Pretty smoky and cramped. I had been twice about a year ago before I moved. I had to wait pretty long the first time, but the second time, they spread a new table as soon as I got there, and I got right in.
On weekends, they offered 2/4, 5/10, 10/20, 15/30, and possibly 30/60 HE. There were also some Omaha and Stud games, but I didn't pay much attention to these. About 10 tables. Games were VERY loose. In 5/10, regularly saw 8 people in on the flop. I didn't do well, but I need to work on my play in loose-aggressive games. Plus, I was a lot more of a beginner then. These games should be quite profitable to a skilled player.
Old 01-05-2004, 02:02 PM

I went back to KY for Christmas and took a little trip to Caesar’s. (I checked my history book but couldn't find any mention of the Roman's coming to the Midwest, oh well).

They were spreading 1 of each of the following: 3/6, 4/8, 5/10 and 10/20. They also had a stud game going. They didn't have enough dealers for more games so the lists were 10 deep for each game. The boat is available all the time. There are no more docking times or anything like that.

I don't have a lot of good things to say about the staff. The woman running the floor acted as if players were bothering her. Several of the dealers were also rude to customers. I wasn't even there very long. You can really tell they don't have a lot of competition there. It was smokey but not too bad. I play at the Hide Away in Seattle where there is a thick fog in the room.

That's the bad side, here is the good side: I put my name up for all the hold'em games and got seated about 40 minutes later in the 5/10 game. Here is the third hand I played.

Me: BB with ATo. Three or four callers to me, I check.
Flop: A83 two hearts. I bet everyone calls.

Turn: 3 not heart, I don't really like this to much as these players like to call with bottom pair. I bet and get only one caller.

River: Ace not heart. Yay, but now I might be splitting with a worse Ace. I bet, caller calls.

I turn over my hand. Caller turns his hand over (there was a lot of showing of hands that didn't have to). He has J7 of hearts! As I am gathering the pot the following conversation takes place:
Not Caller- Why did you call?
Caller- I had to call, I had two pair.
Not Caller- Yeah, I guess you're right.

This type of play and thinking was common at the table. I won $500 in 3 hours. The player on my right said his favorite hand was 23 because he liked to bluff big pots. The player on my left called a river bet after I check raised the flop and turn. There was an Ace on the board and he had QQ.

I did catch good cards but the play was terrible. The play was passive. Usually when someone bet it was a bluff. If they had a hand to showdown, they would just call all the way. I was never called for the 10/20. I'm not sure if I would have left this table for anything.

I can't wait to go back!
Old 01-05-2004, 04:56 PM

I bet its the same floorperson I saw.

On another note, my first hand, I got AQs in early position. I raise, 7 call. Q 4 9 flops. I bet, a few call. 2 on turn, I bet, called by about 3. 2 on river, I bet, am raised. Late position shows 2 7 os. I muck. Great game.... if you can hit.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:37 PM

The reports above are pretty accurate IMO. The staff is definitely not friendly, but not "bad" either. They spread 2/4 on weekends only, all the way up to 20/40. There was a 30/60 game there when I went last August, but that is not commonplace. The rake is 10%, $5 max which is for all games and limits, and that's brutal for the SS games.

I've played the 2/4, 3/6 and 5/10, probably spent a good 20 hours at the table. Surprising I found the 2/4 tighter than the 3/6 and 5/10. At the 5/10 level there were always 6-7 seeing the flop. This level was most agressive as well. The 3/6 is a perfect game, somewhat loose and extremely passive. I didn't see one check-raise in the 6 hours I spent on that table, except the one time I flopped a set of sixes in the small blind to a button raise preflop. Anyway, the 2/4 rarely had five people seeing the flop and the game was very passive as well.

I've heard complaints about the room being smokey and cramped, but I've never really noticed that to be the case.

IMO, if you are playing live for the first time, definitely start with the 3/6. The players at the 5/10 are cocky and arrogant there. Plus, the games are more passive and that should work well for you. I've never had more than a 15 minute wait for a 3/6 table/
Old 01-06-2004, 09:14 PM

I've been thinking about making a trip down there, from Cincinnati, myself. What we need to do doggin is call Argosy and Grand Vic everyday asking them if they have a poker room. Maybe one of them will eventually get sick of us and open one.
Did you ever go to Grand Vic's poker room when it was still open?
Old 01-07-2004, 10:26 AM

I think they would prefer bigger profits over your nagging. You may have a better chance at Belterra, that place is usually dead, and would appreciate the business.