FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Group 3
Natalie Morales 30 30.00%
Heather Nauert 28 28.00%
Soledad O'Brien 14 14.00%
Christina Park 28 28.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-12-2005, 09:26 AM

Default Would you report internet fraud to the authorities?

If you get ripped off in a sizeable money transaction on the web and subsequently were able to find the name and address of the person who did it, would you report it to authorities? Please think carefully about the question and the ramifications and don't just give an automatic Yes answer. Keep in mind that it is likely to be time-consuming to do so and that there is always a sizable chance that it won't do any good anyway.

Feel free to elaborate on your reasons in responses below.

My opinion is that the web is actually a pretty honest place, overall, and as an active participant I've got an interest in keeping it that way. So, for myself, I'm willing to go to a fair amount of trouble to bring a little heat on the scumbags who don't live up to their word. So I'm a solid Yes, absolutely and always.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:46 AM

Default Re: Would you report internet fraud to the authorities?

Well this obviously has to depend on the situation. The biggest factors being 1) how much money we are talking about, 2) how much evidence you have against the guy, 3) what type of fraud we are talking about, 4) where the fraud takes place (country), and 5) what laws would be used.

If you can answer each of these questions then it makes a statement much more plausible. It really comes down to whether you can actually win. It will likely take a lawyer to do so, so factoring in his fees is a pretty big one. Getting ripped off on the internet isn't all that different from getting ripped off anywhere else. It comes down to proof. And whether it is worthwhile or not typically comes down to how much money is at stake, how much proof you have, and how much the proof can be used to enforce an actual violation of laws.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:47 AM

Was there ever any doubt, on this forum, that "it depends" would get the most votes?
Old 04-12-2005, 12:07 PM

Erhm, Who are "the authorities"?