Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 06:23 PM

Default Makingmovesitis - My poker disease

So I tend to play good for a while, and then randomly make a move that cripples me. Anybody else have this problem?

Some of the time I do it at a spot in the tournament that I should be making moves and it helps me, but the problem is I do it at the wrong time. So what do you think is the right time in the tourney to start making moves?

what triggered my move here was the 50 flop bet which looked like an autobet in case I didn't hit flop.

-------------------------------------------
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (8 handed) converter

Button (t650)
SB (t920)
Hero (t1810)
UTG (t740)
UTG+1 (t670)
MP1 (t1530)
MP2 (t850)
CO (t830)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t100) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t50</font>, Hero calls t50.

Turn: (t200) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t50</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t425</font>, SB pushes for another 470 more, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t675
Old 07-07-2005, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Makingmovesitis - My poker disease

I think folding immediately after you raise is bad.

That was a huge huge raise. He'll probably respond to a raise of 200 te same way as he'll respond to a larger raise.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:35 PM

Default converter messed up, I fixed it.

oops
Old 07-07-2005, 06:53 PM

Making moves (which I take to mean bluffing and semi-bluffing) pay off more when you have a good read on someone. I tend not to bluff unknown players postflop in an unraised pot, because you have little information to go on. It's also better to make moves against players who cannot do much damage to your stack if it backfires.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:09 PM

I don't know what level this is, but if it's at the lower end, I would recommend keeping moves to a minimum during the first hour. A move can only work if you opponent will fold what may be the best hand; in the first hour of most low buy-in tournaments, the odds are good that you are not against that kind of opponent. (You'll note that most $20 tournaments lose 50% of the field in the first hour. This is not because of AA is running into KK with any sort of regularity. It is because donks don't mind putting their stack in the middle with a mediocre hand.)

I used to have this problem, but eventually figured out that the first hour of a tournament is about hitting a hand and getting paid off. After that worry about making moves.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what level this is, but if it's at the lower end, I would recommend keeping moves to a minimum during the first hour. A move can only work if you opponent will fold what may be the best hand; in the first hour of most low buy-in tournaments, the odds are good that you are not against that kind of opponent. (You'll note that most $20 tournaments lose 50% of the field in the first hour. This is not because of AA is running into KK with any sort of regularity. It is because donks don't mind putting their stack in the middle with a mediocre hand.)

I used to have this problem, but eventually figured out that the first hour of a tournament is about hitting a hand and getting paid off. After that worry about making moves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good piece of advice. You can only make moves versuses a person that will lay down a hand. Keep it simple in the early goings. See some flops cheaply with J-9o and if you hit the board hard you will be up some chips early. Like Sam T. stated 1/2 of the field is gone in the first hour or a 20 tournament, you lose maybe a 25-30% in a larger buyin tournament. Adjust, man

Stipe
Old 07-07-2005, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post.

I got killed in my first few party MTTs, trying to accumulate chips in the first hour. Then I saw a few tournament reports by ZeeJustin, and I think Strassa2, where they had top 5 finishes in a party super, where they basically played premium hands in the 1st hour. And that is at the top level of party events.

My strategy at party looks pretty much nothing like my strategy at UB (my other MTT site). The odds are just so good that you will be able to double or better with your premium hands, they are worth waiting for.

At some point, I will make a move if I dont hit a hand. I like to keep my stack large enough that a double will put me above average. Until then, watch who is very passive post flop, and who cold calls raises and/or defends their blind. They are the most valuable pieces of info for later when you need to gather some chips