Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-23-2005, 03:13 AM

Default questionable turn semibluff

villain is 15/10/1 over 100

I open in CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], villain 3bets on the button, heads up now.

flop (7.5sb)
TT6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I check/call

turn (4.75bb)
K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I check/raise
Old 12-23-2005, 03:37 AM

Default Re: questionable turn semibluff

I like this play. You have to call anyways, so by checkraising you are only investing one extra BB to see if your opponent will fold, and if he calls you have 11 outs to back you up(If he calls the Tc is probably not an out)
What makes your turn checkraise more powerful is the preflop action. Given that you opened from the CO and he 3bet from the Button his 3 betting range will be much wider. This means he is more likely to have a weak hand on that board. If the villain has a hand like AJ,AQ,77,88,99,JJ,QQ, It will be awfully hard for him to call this checkraise. Against this opponent, I think you will win this pot on the turn enough to make this semibluff checkraise profitable.

Now the real question is, if he calls your checkraise, do you bluff the river if you miss? The only hands I can see him calling the turn raise and folding the river unimproved would be AcJc,AcQc. If these are the only possible holdings he would call and then fold the river unimproved, I would give up on the river and check and fold since there are too many other combinations of hands the villain will call with on the river which makes bluffing at that point unprofitable when compared to the pot odds you are getting on the play. However if you think the villain would 3 bet you preflop with QJs, or you think the villain would call the turn on a gutshot to try to suck out on you, then I think you must bluff the river if a blank hits, since a bluff will now be profitable.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:19 AM

Default Re: questionable turn semibluff

I'd go as far as saying that your turn play is standard.