Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-22-2005, 10:46 PM

Default My fist SSSH hand post (I think) -- did I fancy pants this too much?

<font color="blue">Button is reasonably tight, and not horrible by any means, though not aggressive enough to be what I would call good, but he is observant enough to stand up to me (since he is to my left and I have been pretty aggressive). BB is a total muppet -- he's doing good if he reads the board right.
</font>
PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (5 handed) converter

Preflop: Greg is MP with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Greg raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Greg bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB calls, Greg calls.
<font color="blue">
Woo hoo! Now, after Button raises and BB cold calls I'm thinking, even though the pot is not small, this might be a nice spot to go for the long ball. The board is not that coordinated, and rainbowed, else I would not consider this. </font>

Turn: (6.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Greg checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Greg raises</font>, Button calls, BB folds.

River: (11.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="blue">
Is this what I deserve, or does Jesus just hate me? (Or both?) Oh, and what do you do on this river?
Old 12-22-2005, 10:51 PM

Default Re: My fist SSSH hand post (I think) -- did I fancy pants this too muc

i just fast play and hope to tie everyone to showdown
Old 12-22-2005, 10:55 PM

Default Re: My fist SSSH hand post (I think) -- did I fancy pants this too much?

Im 3-betting that flop all the time here. As for the river I am check/calling. You are probably good enough times.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:58 PM

Default Re: My fist SSSH hand post (I think) -- did I fancy pants this too much?

I probably just go nuts on the flop and hope he has AJ or something. The turn C/R will stop him dead in his tracks. I don't hate it I guess.

River is an easy bet-call. What hands containing a Q seem reasonable at this point given your description of your opponent? There is AQ (would he have 3-bet this PF?) but other than that, nothing really seems to make much sense. He will pay off with a ton of hands that he would check behind.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:59 PM

Just to be clear, I was nearly 100% sure Button was betting the turn and &gt;80% BB would call. Does that change anything?
Old 12-22-2005, 11:00 PM

Yes, BB is now tied into the pot, you want to get that flop capped if you can. 3-bet it and hope they put as much in as possible.

From then on they will probably call your turn and river bets as you haven't done anything to show them that you know you have a monster.

Bet/call this river.

True
Old 12-22-2005, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just to be clear, I was nearly 100% sure Button was betting the turn and &gt;80% BB would call. Does that change anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not as much as you think. you lose the chance to get more bets in on flop/turn/river because you have just told everyone you have a massive hand.

If you 3-bet the flop you increase the size of the pot and tie more players down to the showdown. Using your play you will gain 2BB/player on the turn and no more on the flop.

If you 3-bet the flop it may get capped. You gain 1/2 BB on the flop and at LEAST 1BB / player on the turn.

You also tell everyone you have a monster by c/ring the turn and they are less likely to pay you off with extra bets/raises.

True
Old 12-22-2005, 11:07 PM

Good answer. I think you are right.

That play was still fun though, to play it like that [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2005, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i just fast play and hope to tie everyone to showdown

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this is an oft overlooked argument for just pounding hands on the flop. It also reopens the betting so AK and two pair hands can reraise.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:54 AM

I'd be remiss to not comment on the first SSSH post of my partner in crime from Micro...

I would probably just fastplay this, but I don't think your line is all that bad. It depends some on the players. As for the river, I definitely bet, and I don't think I could bring myself to fold.