Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-20-2005, 05:39 AM

Default Re: Curtains Hand - Early Position Push/No Push

[ QUOTE ]
This is like a top 20% push. J7o isn't even close. Hell A7o is a fold here too IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

can you please back this up with sngpt or some type of math. i highly doubt this is correct.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:40 AM

I would rather shove J7 than A7 here.

edit: Well, maybe not. I don't know how common it is for people to call with A3 etc up there.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:44 AM

You have more FE than you think here. If you fold now and give up the blinds you have 2BB, 1.5 BB if the blinds go up? THAT's no FE.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:46 AM

Yes I agree that people are wrong to dismiss this out of hand. I actually suspect it's very close. Im unsure of how to calculate whats best though as there are a lot of weird factors like a super short stack and so on.

[ QUOTE ]
Am i not using the equity modeling part of power tools right? These blinds are going to kill us and I think most people are missing that. I can see folding because there are 7 people, 5 handed this becomes super easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah the blinds are killing us it's a shame we never get dealt a hand or get a walk in the blinds, otherwise it wouldn't be such doomsday scenario!

k i just did it in sngpt. if you have A7o and they only call with better hands (22+, A7o) this is an easy push(+.4), and thats not factoring the blinds killing you. if they call with anything else its more +EV
Old 12-20-2005, 05:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
k i just did it in sngpt. if you have A7o and they only call with better hands (22+, A7o) this is an easy push(+.4), and thats not factoring the blinds killing you. if they call with anything else its more +EV

[/ QUOTE ]

What about J7o?
Old 12-20-2005, 05:52 AM

well i was responding to shillx. A7o has enough value alone to be a push but J7o depends on peoples calling ranges. so its hard to say but its definitely close
Old 12-20-2005, 06:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Am i not using the equity modeling part of power tools right? These blinds are going to kill us and I think most people are missing that. I can see folding because there are 7 people, 5 handed this becomes super easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah the blinds are killing us it's a shame we never get dealt a hand or get a walk in the blinds, otherwise it wouldn't be such doomsday scenario!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a good point, although I doubt you'll get a walk in the blinds here.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey. If they call with 22+/A7+, a push is worth just + .1%. You have to include suited hands in the calling range as well. It is worth + .2% if you push with 76s and they have the same calling range.

The key is that you have to push the right types of hands. Suited cards go way up in value. Connected cards go way up in value. Push hands that play well against suspected calling ranges. A7o doesn't play very well against tighter ranges though it is decent. Something like A9o would be a clear push in the hand presented. J7o plays horribly against tighter ranges and can be thrown away without blinking. I would much rather push 32s then J7o.

And yes the math in this spot has been done over and over again. It is easiest part of SNG theory to grasp. A lot of pushes are non-exploitable with 7 people still in play.