Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 12-18-2005, 10:33 PM

Default Thank God for Roosevelt thru Bush 41

After watching our Presidents speech tonite im very happy that at one time this country had some competent leadership which was able to aquire enough power and security that I should be able to skate through the rest of my life in relative comfort.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:07 PM

Default Re: Thank God for Roosevelt thru Bush 41

Really? So who is your favorite president? Richard Nixon? Jimmy Carter? Maybe Gerald Ford? I wonder how much "power and security" we earned by selling Iran weapons in the 80's (Iran-Contra), or by losing Vietnam to the enemy.

I'm not saying that Bush is competent, but I don't see how anybody can say that all of our past leaders were competent. Anybody that knows middle-school history can see that America has been through worse in the last fifty years, MUCH worse.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody that knows middle-school history can see that America has been through worse in the last fifty years, MUCH worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently not anyone.... I can't see that. We've never been on the edge of quite so many precipices at one time.... like on a butte that is getting narrower while we're getting bigger.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying that Bush is competent, but I don't see how anybody can say that all of our past leaders were competent. Anybody that knows middle-school history can see that America has been through worse in the last fifty years, MUCH worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah weve been through much worse, thats my point. Can you imagine Bush handling the Cuban missle affair? Can you possibly imagine Bush sitting down with any of the Soviet leaders privatly and not getting bitchslapped?
Old 12-19-2005, 12:22 AM

The most "competent" presidents have also been the most sinister. Lincoln, FDR, Truman, Jackson, Wilson, etc...

I would rather have a half-wit like Bush in office. At least he doesn't possess the ability to screw things up too badly.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I would rather have a half-wit like Bush in office. At least he doesn't possess the ability to screw things up too badly.

[/ QUOTE ]
Huh? You consider having the whole world pissed at us as not screwing things up too badly?
Old 12-19-2005, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Huh? You consider having the whole world pissed at us as not screwing things up too badly?

[/ QUOTE ]

Relative to what others have done, yes.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:37 AM

FDR was mostly the man. Clinton wasn't totally awful either. He sort of bought into the conservative policies, but at least he wasn't a absolute moron.

I think Clinton did everything he could with the political situation he faced. People like Al From and the DLC have tried hard to reinterpret that legacy to make it more conservative.

FDR was pretty much the best President ever.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Clinton did everything he could with the political situation he faced. People like Al From and the DLC have tried hard to reinterpret that legacy to make it more conservative.

[/ QUOTE ]

We are talking about politicians here, right? The less they do, the better. That is why Clinton was 'good'. Whether it was his own doing or the fact that the Republicans held the Congress, I'm not sure. All I know is that less legislation was passed, which is always a good thing.

[ QUOTE ]
FDR was pretty much the best President ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

My sarcasm detector is pretty bad. Is this a joke?
Old 12-19-2005, 03:12 AM

Just because you're some tripped out anarchist, that does not mean that everybody on this forum is. Instead of buying a new sarcasm detector, some common-sense judgement may be a better investment for you.