Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-18-2005, 03:38 AM

Default Buying ice skates

I love iceskating and this winter I want to get myself a nice pair. Unfortunately I don't know the first thing about buying ice skates. Google search generally says to go to a local shop and consult with a professional. Is there anything specific I should be looking for (or avoiding) or is any old pair good enough?

Also, I'll be going down back home to NYC tomorrow so if someone could recommend a shop or two, that'd be very helpful.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:40 AM

Default Re: Buying ice skates

Don't buy used. Any skates made by CCM or Bauer are good quality.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:46 AM

Heh, I also hate it when they say talk to a sales professional. It is the last thing I will do!
Old 12-18-2005, 04:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't buy used.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't emphasize this enough. Also, be sure to get them sharpened regularly.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:11 AM

This has good accurate information: Ice Hockey Skate Buying Demystified
Old 12-18-2005, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I investigated this link also and was about to post it.

The one thing that it reinforces and that I would also have advised is that skates should fit 'snugly'. There really dosen't need to be room between your toes and the tip like in shoes.

Smaller is ok. I always remember that Paul Coffey used to weak skates 2 sizes to small, and he was a pretty good hockey player.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I investigated this link also and was about to post it.

The one thing that it reinforces and that I would also have advised is that skates should fit 'snugly'. There really dosen't need to be room between your toes and the tip like in shoes.

Smaller is ok. I always remember that Paul Coffey used to weak skates 2 sizes to small, and he was a pretty good hockey player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you want them smaller than your shoe size, because you don't want your ankles to roll in them. It won't be comfortable the first few times, but once you break them in, it's like putting on slippers [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I've had CCM Tacks for the last 10 years (3 different pairs) and I love them. Bauer's are good as well. Just make srue you get something you like.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:16 AM

i skate almost every day in the winter. get a decent but not too expensive pair of ccm hockey skates. too expensive usually means too stiff unless you are big and a very aggressive skater. about 80 to 150 bucks is about right. dont get figure skates.
dont buy them small like the websites tell you to unless you want to buy another pair. get them big enough for a medium heavy pair of socks. you can also put a felt liner in the bottom to take up space and give warmth. if you skate outside you need warmth. hockey players skate inside mostly and they have different needs. even outside they are very active and break their skates in easily and conform to them.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love iceskating and this winter I want to get myself a nice pair. Unfortunately I don't know the first thing about buying ice skates. Google search generally says to go to a local shop and consult with a professional. Is there anything specific I should be looking for (or avoiding) or is any old pair good enough?

Also, I'll be going down back home to NYC tomorrow so if someone could recommend a shop or two, that'd be very helpful.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't buy figure skates. Hockey skates are easier to skate in.

Avoid the Graf brand, super stiff hurts.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:52 PM

When you buy them you should also get them baked. Basically they throw them in an oven and melt all the glues and soften the material. Then you put them on and do them up as tight as possible and sit for 15 minutes allowing it all to dry and make a mold of your foot.

Also the point about being an indoor or outdoor skater and warmth appropriate skates is important.

rJ