Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2005, 02:38 PM

Default Re: PLAYING AGAINST A PAIRED DOOR CARD.. THEORY.

I think neither opponent needs to have trips here. If I was still in with the ten up, I would certainly double bet with any hand here and test you. With you catching a two, its obviously less likely that the bring-in has trip twos. Nonetheless, I think it's quite an easy fold - your chances of improving are not great, and its very possible that you are facing trips. There's also the possibility of a number of raises going in here if either or both opponent is aggressive, and the bring-in at least appears to be.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:28 PM

Default RESULT

Here is how the entire hand played out. As you can see, I folded fourth. Even though the two opponents ended up with weaker hands than I expected, I still think the consensus advice to fold is correct. I really don't like being in hands, where even if you improve to two pair, you still don't really know if you are ahead.

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.60 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___completes___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___raises

4th Street - (7.00 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___double bets
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (5.50 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (7.50 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

River - (9.50 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___calls

Total pot: (11.50 BB)

Results:
Main Pot: $112 | Rake: $3

Seat 1: [ Qh 9d Th Td 3h 5h 5d ] [ two pairs, tens and fives -- Qh,Th,Td,5h,5d ]

Seat 8: [ Kh Ks 2s 2c Jh 8d 6d ] [ two pairs, kings and twos -- Kh,Ks,Jh,2s,2c ]
Old 12-18-2005, 05:57 PM

Default Re: RESULT

[ QUOTE ]
Here is how the entire hand played out. As you can see, I folded fourth. Even though the two opponents ended up with weaker hands than I expected, I still think the consensus advice to fold is correct. I really don't like being in hands, where even if you improve to two pair, you still don't really know if you are ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Better to push the big edges, then to push the small edges in stud. Sucks to see you would've had a shot at the winner, but thats pokah.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:43 PM

Default Re: RESULT

3rd:Re-raise.Ypur hand is almost certainly best.

4th:Good thing you didn't re-raise 3rd.You've got to fold, imo.Even if neither one has trips now,you've still got to make another pair,& either one of them could fill up.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:57 AM

Default Re: Trouble on fourth?

Sometimes you just have to release the cards no matter how good the started out. This seems to be a clear fold here. Even if you are best on 4th, you felt awkward betting them outright or even calling. Save yourself the aggrevation and wait for the next big starting hand and hope it works better for you.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:41 AM

Default Re: Trouble on fourth?

Failing to reraise on 3rd st is horrendous.
I realize that raising "doesn't accomplish anything but get more money in the pot," and that is the point. Hero is likely to be first to act on 4th st with the likely bettor to his immediate left, so it isn't like he can force the field to face a double bet then. He's got the best of it on 3rd and needs to make everyone pay. I see that a couple people have said that not raising is okay, and I am absolutely baffled by this--can anyone explain the thought process behind just calling?

The fold on 4th st is just about automatic. Sad, but true.

Michael